View Single Post
Old 28-09-11, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
I'm sure you know this already, but loads of people on ancestry have George's mother down as Elizabeth Bowden. Doesn't mean they're right, of course!
I've been trying to get to the bottom of this.

I think the ancestry trees have all copied each other - look at the birth dates of the children to start with - (3 children, born in 1804, 1818 and 1822) a bit odd n'est ce pas?

I've been on the familysearch site and found 8 children to James Willcocks and Elizabeth in Buckfastleigh:

1804 Mary
1805 Ann
1807 William
1809 Susan
1811 James
1818 George (probably my ancestor)
1821 another William possibly denoting another family - I can't find any burial records
1822 Thomas

The marriage that's been attributed to my James Willcocks (to Elizabeth Bowden) was in Staverton not in Buckfastleigh - there are Bowden and Willcocks families all over that area, including a marriage between Elizabeth Bowden & William Barns in Buckfastleigh also a christening of Elizabeth Bowden in 1792 (parents Richard & Dorothy) in Buckfastleigh.

I haven't seen the written records, which MAY state that James was from Buckfastleigh....although he married Elizabeth in Staverton, that's what's bothering me.... I can't see WHY they think that this marriage is the 'right one'.

Any thoughts, anyone?

PS - More checking reveals that they have him dying in Dorset in 1868..... I have his death cert, with the right occupation, in 1856, aged 78, in Buckfastleigh.

Last edited by lozaras; 28-09-11 at 16:22.