View Single Post
Old 20-12-20, 15:05
Administrator

Thanks to the Somerset PR's on Ancestry, I managed to get my Granny's Portman line back a few more generations, to a Matthias Porteman born in 1592 at Minehead, my 9xg-grandfather. Unfortunately his baptism record doesn't give his parents' names.

On my Grandpa's side, I traced the Philpott line back as far as my 18th g-grandfather John Philipott, born in the early 14th or late 13th century, coat of arms "Sa. a bend erm impaling Arg. on a chevron between 3 eagles gu. 3 roundels arg." This thanks to my 1st cousin 12 times removed turning out to be John Philipot, 1588-1645, who was Somerset Herald 1624-1645 and responsible for many visitations and pedigrees. His family's surname was spelt Philpott or similar in the PR's but he insisted on changing it back to Philipot to match his ancestors, such as Sir John Philipot who was Mayor of London in 1378. I had to laugh when I saw the 1645 burial record said "Mr John Fillpott". Sad to say, I know this is not my biological line, though, since DNA matching showed that my 2xg-grandfather, who was descended from these people, was not my biological ancestor.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update