Thread: Grand nieces
View Single Post
Old 11-01-20, 04:38

Help Please.

Mary Venn died 10/4/1881.
She left a will. Proceeds went to :
her son John Venn and his sons George, Robert, William and James.
her "grand nieces" Mary Ann and Rosa Thorne
her daughters Elizabeth Venner and Maria Lyon.

I believed Mary was the wife of James Venn.

James Venn and his wife Mary had the following children.
1. Jane b 1824 Morpeth Devon
2. Mary Ann bap 1826 Brompton Regis Somerset
3. Harriett Elizabeth bap 1829 Brompton Regis who I believe married John Lovering Venner as Elizabeth Harriet in 1851 (this is daughter Elizabeth in the will)
4. John bap 1832 Brompton Regis Somerset. He married Charlotte Whitefield in 1856. Besides the sons who received something in Mary's will they also had daughters Mary Ann, Elizabeth and Christiana Taylor Venn.
5. Caroline bap 1834 Kingsbrompton, married James Thorne and died 1863. She is the mother of Mary Ann and Rosa Thorne who were the grand nieces in the will.
6. William bap 1837 Brompton Regis
7. Maria bap 1842 Brompton Regis. She is supposed to have married Mr Lyon but I can't find the marriage. I've tried looking for Lyon as her second marriage but can't get that to work either.

I believe Mary, who wrote the will, was Mary Taylor and she married James in 1823 at Morpeth, Devon. Mary's DOB varies over the census but ranges from 1798-1801.

I can't establish parents for Mary but I believe she had a brother, James who married Agnes Crocker and a sister, Christiana who married William Emett. I'm not sure what happened to Agnes but she and James seem to live apart in the 2 census before James' death. Mary was executor for Christiana's will, which the Will people seem to have lost.

I haven't done a lot with James' family. His parents were Robert and Elizabeth nee Curdel. They had a children John, William, (who also had a wife called Mary), Elizabeth, Mary and Matthew. I haven't killed any of these children off and have only married William off.

John, his children, Caroline and her children and Elizabeth Venner all fit very nicely as the children of James and Mary Venn. If I'm wrong please be nice. I'm fond of Caroline, my 3g grandmother.

There are lots of holes so I'm going to see if I can close anymore. Thanks for any help anyone can give.