View Single Post
Old 25-04-20, 22:09

Thanks Phoenix. That's pretty much how I've got it worked out, plus a couple of George's, among others. I've had slow going of it, because I can't locate several marriages.
According to Burke's Landed Gentry 1847, my ancestor William Palmer married Rebecca Smith 2 Sep 1698. With a complete date you would think I can find a marriage, but no. She is described as the daughter of (blank) Smith of Canonsleigh. This is what pointed me to the Great Torrington family.
From my research I have found Rebecca had a sister Mary, who married Elijah Dene. Both couples lived at Clyst Hydon (Elijah and William were curates of the parish). What I have found so far is a Mary Smyth was baptised in Great Torrington in 1648, daughter of John and Elizabeth Smyth, merchant. A Rebecca Smyth was baptised in Bideford in 1662, father John Smyth merchant. John's wife Elizabeth was buried in Bideford in 1663.
This is about as far as I have got. At this stage I think John was the brother of James. The Burke's entry having a slight error. There was a John Smyth senior and junior in Great Torrington as well, but I think senior was the brother of Richard, John and James' father.
Where did you find Grace's will?