View Single Post
Old 10-02-13, 10:04

Oh thank you so much for this: you have been to such a lot of trouble: that is incredibly kind of you & I am mortified that you got wet on our account.... I must say that what I love about family research is that the "human level" material does throw up some real puzzles. One thing which I guess must be a huge bugbear is the tendency to fiddle about with both street names & numbering: it makes reasonable tasks that much trickier.. especially tantalising when the objective truth of where they lived must be relativle within touch... I must say the whole set up just reeks of late Victoriana/Edwardian : the buildings, the bandstand across the way is just too good to be true! I can well picture Edward staying there & sauntering down to the pier with his little nephew to try a little fishing or taking a stroll through meadows to picturesque spots on the Stour... One almost is surprised that the places still (mostly) exist as it is so redolent of the time... I wish I knew more about Alfred & Alice & the children: I am guessing that they felt unwanted in Britain & so emigrated, but to what I do not know: I'd guess agriculture or mining might be the most likely prospects: Boscombe probably represented a transitional period while they made their minds up: presumably in rented lodgings & in goodness knows what employment. It would have been a lovely spot for Edward to visit (especially in his bachelor days) but I rather suspect he never saw his brother again: I'd like to think that his nephew & niece looked him up when we know they visited the UK.. Thank you so much again though: most appreciative. A