View Single Post
Old 10-02-13, 10:24
Administrator

Hmmm, he might have needed those items had he returned to Boscombe in the 1980s!

A tip - always do your internet/book research BEFORE going out with a camera in the drizzly rain! lol I didn't, and thereby discovered a problem only after I'd been to The Crescent yesterday!

The Dr's surgery is no more, though the building still exists - Once I was outside it I realised it is number 1, not number 4 as I thought from google street view (not google street view's fault, my eyes!). Today the whole of The Crescent is odd numbers only, running from 1-27. When I got home I realised in 1891 the numbering was both odd and even numbers from 1-8. My OH insisted the street has never had properties on both sides. I was sceptical as he wasn't alive in 1891 (!), but having looked at various old maps it does seem he is correct. So, even if the street has been renumbered, how have 8 properties morphed into 14 (1-27 odd only) when everything looks as if it was built in the late 1900s?? I have not solved this mystery.

I did try looking to see if FMP had any other bits of census with The Crescent on it, in case the larger numbers were enumerated separately, but they haven't even got the correct address for Alfred and Alice, listing then as at 2 Christchurch Road, which is incorrect. I know the street name hasn't changed as The Hengistbourne Club, listed on the census at number 3, and The Crescent Surgery, recently at number 1, both appear in lots of records as being in the street I know as The Crescent.

So, I don't know which house they were living in!!

This is numbers 1 (left) and 3 (right). Number 1 used to be the Doctors surgery and I suppose number 3 might have been number 2 in the past:

This is numbers 1 on the right and my supposed position of number 2, where the big tree is, as whilst I was "on location" I was imagining the even numbers had been knocked down, which turned out to be an incorrect assumption:

The church in that last one is St John's C of E, Boscombe.

This next shot shows numbers 7-21. There are no other styles of property in the road.

In the past there was a bandstand on the green opposite the houses, but I don't know if that was there back in the 1890s.

It would have been a five minute walk to get to Boscombe pier where they also fished. There are lots of pictures of the pier online. It hasn't changed much.

I should have photographed the street name - I always do that when photographing properties, but forgot this time I looked on street view to see if they had captured it and they had - this photo also shows the old Crescent Surgery at number 1. I was shocked to see the road is now called Boscombe Crescent! I don't know when that happened - during the refurbishment perhaps? I've never heard it called that!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010