View Single Post
Old 07-02-13, 13:08
Administrator

Quote:
Worked down from the Sheep wash
I know where that is too! Just round the corner from Iford Bridge mentioned on your first fishing post.......

If you would like to see what it looks like today, then use Google maps to find 937 Castle Lane East, Bournemouth. Once you have located that address, if you click on the street-view you will find yourself roughly facing a chalet bungalow with green roof tiles and a black single garage door on the left of the property. To the immediate left of the property is a brick wall separating their land from nextdoor. Nextdoor there is a terrace of 6(?) new redbrick houses which are at right angles to the main road. These are built on the site of an old house, knocked down a year or two back, named Sheepwash.

If you move down the road a little to the left and then turn back to face the original bungalow you will see a street sign on the other side of the dividing brick wall that says "Sheep Wash Lane" on it - you will have to take my word for that as it doesn't seem to be possible to zoom in on it, but I did double check on my way home from Tesco this morning!! This used to be a lane leading to the actual Sheep Wash, but now I think it's a private road/drive and I don't know if there is a right of way or not.

Here is a painting of what the Sheep Wash area looked like in more tranquil times! This is what you would see if you walked down Sheepwash Lane (if that's still allowed!).

Sheepwash

If you would like to see how near this is to the Iford Bridge site where Edward also fished, you will need to go back to google maps and back to 937 Castle Lane East, face this property and then turn right, so you have your back to the new houses at Sheepwash. You should see signs on the road giving details of a roundabout coming up. You need to move forward to the roundabout and take the first exit (the google notation says this is the "A35 Iford Roundabout"). You'll go over a zebra crossing and last the Iford Bridge pub on the right. Then across a lit pedestrian crossing and immediately after this you will see there are low brick walls on both sides of the road. This is the "new" Iford Bridge! If you move onto the bridge and turn to your right you will see the old bridge which carried the main road into Christchurch from Iford until the new bridge was built in 1932.

If you want to see where Edward probably fished then turn around on the new bridge and begin taking yourself back towards the roundabout. Before you get there you will see the Ifird Bridge pub, now on your left. Just before it is a side road. If you click down here after about 100m or so you will see a red Peugeot (I think!) on the left and two people on bikes. To the left is the entrance to the old bridge and the places to fish are on the river banks around here.

Tuckton Bridge (from your fishing part 1) is about a mile and a half down stream.

Oooh, sorry that's all a bit long! It may not be as good as a real visit, but a lot cheaper! lol

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010