View Single Post
Old 25-01-13, 21:18
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHoldcroft View Post
Thank you Maggie: glad it touched upon your family history: would have been awful had your mum been on shift as munitions factories were the targets & so unsafe due to their nature.... Have you got any accounts from her you are able to share?
Not much to share she never spoke much about it other than that episode of the bombing of Coventry and she said all she could see (Mrs Chapman woke them all up those that were there) from the attic window was a red glow across Coventry and occasionally boooooms and bangs and also when she first arrived in Rugby was so pleased that she had her own bed (it was fairyland to her) and her landlady did her washing her name was 'Mrs Chapman' well to be precise Mrs Chapman's housekeeper did the washing and it was laid out on her bed

Mrs Chapman had a son in the RAF (I think from memory he got killed from what my mum told me and he was Mrs Chapman's only child and son) and it was a big house in Rugby and a few girls had a billet there including her, she made a couple of friends called Belle and Mary from Gateshead and remained in contact with them until the 1970s - my mum came from a very very poor family in Bethnal Green and even at 19 years of age was still sharing a bed and believe you me no one did her washing.

I must admit I always wondered what happened to Mrs Chapman my mother spoke about her often in later life she like her a lot - there were about 10 girls that had a billet in Mrs Chapman's house and she was the matriach and seemed to look after the girls very well - emotionally and physically and they came from all walks of life and found themselves there.