View Single Post
Old 15-03-12, 13:19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenthec View Post
Thanks for the heads up Merry on how to pronounce Braughing. Spent ages last night googling Layston and Buntingford, now the one town, but were the places mentioned for Wm and Ann Grout's family.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'were the places mentioned for Wm and Ann Grout's family'? William and Ann Grout were both buried there and their children were baptised there.

Quote:
I have a copy of William's will but it only mentions George, William (sons) and Sarah (daughter) by name. So did he and Ann have all the foll chn all listed on Family Search?? Sarah b. 1800, George 1801-02, John Sep 1803, Mary 1808 (2nd wife of Peregrine Hogg Purvis), Ann 1810, William 1812, Jane 1814. All born to William and Ann, all baptised Layston????
Yes, that's right. One child had died: John buried 13 Nov 1824 at St Andrew's Enfield (entry says aged 21, son of Wm Grout, harness maker of Puckeridge. Died with his uncle Enfield Ward - if only all entries were so helpful! I thought at first his uncle had died too, but I think the entry just means he was living/staying with his uncle), but the rest of Wm Grout's children were living (except I'm unsure about Ann). On the 1841 census William has George, Mary Wm and Jane with him in Layston.

William's will was witnessed by James Smith who was his brother-in-law and my 4xg-grandfather!

The wedding in Hackney for Wm Grout and Ann Smith was witnessed by Mary Langford who was my 4xg-grandmother. She married Ann Smith's brother James the following year.

Quote:
Charles Grout and Ann Garrett m. as above 1842
Did you spot Ann Garrett's mother in the photo album Am I right that she (Ann Draper) is your 3xg-grandmother!!

Quote:
Charles Grout and Ann Garrett m. as above 1842 had 8 children Ann b.1843, Charles 1844, George 1846, Henry 1847, Walter 1849, Emma 1851, Jessy 1854 and Jane 1861. Son Charles m Ann Margaret Knott on 2 Apr 1874 at Parish Church of Sth Hackney. Their eldest son, Charles Albert Grout b. 1878 was my grandfather but I never knew him as he died before my birth. Ann Margaret Knott was born 31 Aug 1849 at Shoreditch to Joshua Knott and Douglas/ Doughlah Edwards. She and Charles had 11 children, Annie Maud, Nellie, Charles, George Gilbert, Arthur Hubert, Lucy, John Garrett, Thomas Stanley, Frecerick, Margaret and Harold. I have a tree on ancestry if anyone wishes to view it. Jenthec
Thanks for that - I have the children of Charles and Ann Grout but hadn't followed them forward, so now I know where you fit

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010