View Single Post
Old 06-02-14, 18:56
Administrator

I'm a little bit underwhelmed by FMP's latest news item:
British in India Success story: findmypast’s Estelle discovers a knight’s secret past
http://blog.findmypast.co.uk/2014/br...s-secret-past/

As far as I can see, the knight is her grandmother's cousin Gerald Priestley, and she already knew he had been knighted for his service in the Indian Civil Service, and the only thing she seems to have found out about him is that he got married, which she could have found out before by looking on FamilySearch! All the rest of the article is about his wife's family, who are only related to Estelle by Gerald's marriage.

My quick Google search for "Sir Gerald Priestley" came up with a family history page which says that he later married a divorcee (i.e. his second wife), Evelyn May Ledward, nee Burnage, at Kloof (South Africa) after 1959, so when Sir Gerald was in his seventies. I have to say that if he was my relative, I would be looking into that instead of his first father-in-law's sisters-in-law!

Also, I don't get what she means about getting the names of the first wife's grandparents to "take my tree even further back". I wouldn't have thought they belonged in her tree? Why bother tracing back the ancestors of your grandmother's cousin's wife?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update