View Single Post
Old 11-12-20, 08:38

So I guess that means John and Catherine were not in the first flush of youth when they were left the legacy. Perhaps into their 30s ? What a bonus that money would have been. If they had been working for Scoville since their teens and saved a little, the extra would have really been an impetus to get married.

I don't know if you want to follow up, but I was looking at some Dorset records, and I found a marriage for Charles Dammen to Alicia Phelps at Broadmayne 16 Nov 1658.

http://www.opcdorset.org/BroadmayneF...s1667-1837.htm

What I was excited about was the index page for Broadmayne mentioned that one of the well-known families was Furmedge - one of my mystery ancestors Catherine Furmedge married in Martock Somerset in 1751 - I had not looked for her in Dorset, only in Somerset. So now I have another possibility to explore.

Also, Richard Scoville was followed, sometime later (after his 1649 stint) as Town Clerk of Dorchester by George Strickland and his son George Strickland the younger who are connected to my Gilbert/Garland/Barnwell branches.