View Single Post
Old 23-01-14, 11:20
Administrator

Default Joseph Jory and his niece Frances

I found information on British History Online which says that Aldborough Hatch Farm in Essex was acquired by Joseph Jory, who left it on his death in 1725 to his niece Frances, wife of John Foche and later of Col Martin Bladen. I found on another site that he (Joseph Jory) died intestate, in which case there is no actual will to find.

There are PCC wills for John Foche (written 1713 and proved 12 Oct 1725), who left everything to his wife Frances, with Joseph Jory Esquire as one of the trustees; Martin Bladen (written 1726 and proved 1747); and Frances Bladen (written 1746 and proved 1747).

John Foche of London Esq was buried 21 Sep 1725 at St Dunstan and All Saints, Stepney. I should think he is the same John Foche given the probate date. Martin Bladen married Frances Focke 3 Apr 1728 at St Martin in the Fields, Westminster, according to FamilySearch, and the marriage licence allegation on ancestry dated 28 Feb 1727, which would be 28 Feb 1727/8, gives their names as Martin Bladen of the parish of St George Hannover Square in the County of Middx Esqr Widower and Frances Focke of the parish of Barking in the County of Essex Widow. Martin Bladen Esqr Colll of Auberry Hatch was buried 25 Feb 1745, also at St Dunstan and All Saints, Stepney, and Frances Bladen of Alborach in Essex widow was buried there 21 Aug 1747.

Relatives who Frances mentions in her will include: kinswoman Mrs Anne Middleton and her brother Mr George Hodges, who were children of Sir Nathaniel Hodges and his wife Mary Buttall (they married in 1702); daughter in law Mrs Tinker; nephew and niece Mr and Mrs Hawke; kinswoman Mrs Mary Foster; cousins Joseph and Mary Hooper; kinswoman Mrs Sarah Hooper; "the surviving grandchildren of my mother Hacket" (if only she had named them!); and kinswoman Mary Helden.

I would have thought that with all that information, I could find out who Frances' parents were, but I seem to be going round in circles! Can anyone figure it out, please? There is a public tree on ancestry showing her maiden name as Jory, but there is no info on where she was born, who her parents were etc.

(I am trying to find out how she was related to Sir Nathaniel Hodges and his wife, about whom there is lots in this thread:
Frances Dry)

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update