View Single Post
Old 14-01-20, 21:10

I am late to join this thread but lately I have doing quite a bit with our family DNA.

We are getting quite a group of DNA on Ancestry, which sometimes help, but often not.

So Dad has three grand-daughters and one nephew as matches, (mine is only on FTDNA). Matches with his grand-daughters vary from 2031 to 1623 cMs and his nephew is at 1980.

There are over 20 "second" and "cousins", many from his paternal line, but I would use those terms very loosely.

Those Ancestry defines as second cousins vary from 472 to 253 cMs, and thirds from 190 to 90 cMs. I know none of them are first cousins to Dad, but the second cousins include first cousins once removed to 2nd cousins once removed. One second cousin shares 253cM and his grand-daughter has 62.

One third cousin once removed shares 84. He has a group of matching rellos who I would never have known about, as they are all in the US, but when his name came up on the matches list, I recognised it from my earlier research and so could fit them all into my tree.

In total, I have marked 90 DNA samples as belonging to my Dad's paternal line - many have family trees but some I still dont know where they fit in, only that they match several others who I do know.

I have been reading about pedigree collapse and endogamy, meaning the marriage of related persons, cousins and such and wonder if that might have happened to you, which might make the DNA matches higher (well, I think so, but I am not entirely sure).

I guess what I am trying to say is dont take the second and third cousins as absolute and look wider afield. Can you trace down from the common marriage and see where the mystery cousins are linked ?

Di