View Single Post
Old 01-11-19, 18:25
Administrator

Default Friday challenge?

I've been looking at this for too long! I feel the answer is there, but it's just not revealing itself to me.

Basically, I want to know the maiden name of the 'wife' here:

1911 Census - 241 Icknield Port Rd, Birmingham

Arthur James Lowe head m 32 chimney sweep b Birmingham
Rose Lowe wife m 29 b Birmingham, m 13 years, children 2, none dec'd
Rose Lowe dau 10 school b Birmingham
Harry Lowe son 12 school b Birmingham
Ivy Chatterley visitor 5 school b Birmingham

The problem is, all my research indicates that '13 years' married relates to the marriage of Arthur James Low to Alice Hollyoake in 1897. They seem to have had two children:

LOWE, ARTHUR WILLIAM
HOLLYOAKE
GRO Reference: 1897 D Quarter in BIRMINGHAM Volume 06D Page 97

LOWE, WILLIAM THOMAS
HOLLYOAKE
GRO Reference: 1899 J Quarter in BIRMINGHAM Volume 06D Page 82

These two boys are together in the workhouse (? some institution) in 1911. I can't find them or either parent in 1901. I don't need to know about the children or Alice particularly- I was only looking to see if there were any clues about Rose at this date.

So, it seems that Rose is not married to Arthur and I suppose the two children with them in 1911 are more likely to be hers, either illegitimate or born in a previous marriage.

Arthur is still alive in 1939 (born 14 Jun 1879 which matches the birth date on his baptism), but that doesn't seem to be any help as his wife's first name is just 'L'. (probably Louisa Harrison m 1927). No probate for Arthur following his death in 1941.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010