View Single Post
Old 15-11-22, 14:52

Yes, I watched it, Ann, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I don't have any family connections but a personal one. My first job was in the Strand in 1972 for a firm of patent agents. We had luncheon vouchers and we often used to go up to Covent Garden for a cheap lunch. The market was still in operation (until 1974, I believe) and the cafés did a roaring trade in the early hours until the market tradesmen headed home before lunch. Then the cafés attracted the office workers and many of them served 3-course set meals at very reasonable prices. The Covent Garden I knew then was very much the hub of the market with all the associated sights, sounds and smells.

Fast forward several decades, and Covent Garden has always been a place where we love to visit with our family. We saw the Nutcracker at the Royal Opera House one Christmas and have done lots of shopping and had lots of meals there. We often used to meet our elder daughter, son-in-law and grandson there.

The developments over the years have been fascinating and I remember the opposition to the GLC's plans.