View Single Post
Old 19-01-10, 12:42

Merrry, it's so odd! Thanks for the deaths - I had noted them, but as both parents have the same names it's not clear if they are the children or not. I think I shall have to order some certificates.

There are a few Porritts in Lancashire, but most of them seem to be missing from the censuses.

I can't find Mary Porritt on the 1841 census, and she must have been alive! Also I believe her sister Ann to be alive as I have a probable marriage for her somewhere.

I have been using FMP and they are usually quite good. I don't know if Ancestry are any better.

Charles Alexander and Mary Porritt's marriage certificate gives her father as "Samuel Porritt Mill Wright". It doesn't indicate whether he is alive or dead. Charles' father was dead but it does not say so.

From the occupation it looks pretty certain I have the correct Samuel Porritt.

(If I don't reply for a while I'm not ignoring you although my light will be on! I am on a wedding organisation mission (for my younger daughter) and I'm going to a bridal shop to look at bridesmaids' dresses and make an appointment for the bridesmaids.)