View Single Post
Old 08-04-11, 21:41

Default Someone from Wales

The only information I have on my FMFMM is that she married David Lewis and died sometime between 1861 and 1871; first name, maiden surname, date and place of birth, date and place of marriage - not a clue!

This is FMFF and FMFM's marriage:

Marriage solemnized at the Parish Church in the Parish of Ystradgynlais in the Country of Brecknock, 15th December 1878

William Hughes, 21, bachelor, collier [can't read the residence]; father Thomas Hughes, mason
Ann Lewis, 21, spinster, residence Cwmgiedd; father David Lewis, collier

Married in the Parish Church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church, after Banns, by me, ELD Glanby, Rector.

This marriage was solemnized between us, {William Hughes, Ann Lewis}, in the presence of us, {Thomas Morris, Thomas Williams}.

FMFF and family in 1881, with FMFMF living with them:

Cwmgiedd, Ystradgynlais, Pontardawe, RG 11/5346

William Hughes, head, married, 23, furnace filler, b Cardiganshire
Anne Hughes, wife, married, 23, b Breconshire
Thomas Hughes, son, 1 week, b Ystradgynlais Breconshire
David Lewis, widower, father[-in-law], 73, b Glamorganshire
William Gallop, boarder, 40, b Devonshire
Eleanor Rees, servant, 18, b Ystradgynlais Breconshire

Probable FMFMF in 1871:

Cwmgiedd, Ystradgynlais, RG10/5434

David Lewis, head, widower, 59, coal miner, b Carmarthen Bettws
Mary Lewis, daughter, unmarried, 20, b Brecknock Ystradgynlais
Hannah Lewis, daughter, 10, scholar, b Brecknock Ystradgynlais

Residence, occupation and the fact that he's a widower all match the 1881 entry, so I'm inclined to think that this is the right person even though the age is a few years out and the birthplace completely different. No sign of Ann in 1871, unless Ann and Hannah are the same person.

If anyone can make anything from that bare minimum of information, I'll not only be very grateful but also very impressed!