View Single Post
Old 20-12-14, 08:27
Administrator

Samuel S B Ames was quite tricky to research and I had a lot of problems working out who he married and who his son, also Samuel, married. Samuel senr often didn't use his middle names.

Eventually I came across the will of Rebecca Ames, this Samuel's only child from his second marriage. She was good enough to tell me that her father had been married three times and gave the name of her surviving half brother, Samuel, from his first marriage. However, she had this to say about the only child born after her father married his third wife:

Quote:
".....first I give and bequeath to Mary Ames daughter of my late father Samuel Statham Bagshaw Ames's third wife (now widow) one shilling having my private reasons for so doing......."
Is she saying she suspects or knows Mary Ames is not her father's biological child? Her other half sibling is described as "son of my father by his first wife".

It seems likely Rebecca didn't have much contact with Mary, as Mary had been married for six years when Rebecca wrote her will, but there's no mention of Mary's married name.

Up to now I have no idea where the names Statham or Bagshaw come from.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010