View Single Post
Old 07-04-13, 09:44

Hi Merry and Kate,

Sarah was born in 1772 in Upper Winchendon and her records are entered in the Upper Side Meeting. (Bucks.)

She married William Hemmings on 14 July 1794 and he died on 17 June 1801 at Brailes, Warwickshire. They had 3 children - John, Joseph Jeffcoat and Hannah. Joseph Jeffcoat Hemmings was a grocer and sausage maker in Oxford, John died in the USA in 1827 and Hannah married later in life to a William Simcox.

I have just found the relevant passage in Samuel Purser's will:

"Upon trust after paying and retaining thereout all expensces of and incidental to the Sale and realization of such real estate and conveying same to the purchasers thereof to pay and divide such monies unto between and amongst my Brother Richard Purser my Sister Elizabeth Johnson and all and every my nephews and nieces who shall be born in my lifetime the Sons and Daughters of my said Brother Richard Purser my said Sister Elizabeth Johnson my deceased Brothers William Purser John Purser Joseph Purser and Robert Purser and of my deceased Sisters Hannah Purser and Ann Fisher and the nephews and nieces who shall be born in my lifetime of my said wife Ann Purser the Sons and Daughters of my said Wife’s Brothers Daniel Jeffcoat of her two Sisters Sarah Field Hannah Freeman and Rebecca Freeman in equal shares and proportions on their severally attaining the age of twenty one years"

The marriage of a Sarah Hemmings and John Field is on the IGI:

Name: John Field
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Spouse's Birth Date:
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Age:
Event Date: 19 Mar 1813
Event Place: Meppershall, Bedford, England
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M00378-2

It doesn't appear to be a Quaker marriage.
This is the marriage my Purser contact found, but I don't know how convinced he was either!
I would have thought an earlier marriage more likely.

Last edited by ElizabethHerts; 07-04-13 at 09:49.