View Single Post
Old 23-09-10, 12:02

For all those lovely people who have replied to this thread, I thought I'd add this communication I have been having this week with someone with the same woman in their tree on Ancestry, No answers but interesting!

Hi there, I see you have the Logsdon family in your tree Wilhelmina (1835) and James (1826-1898) Logsdon are in my direct line, as I suspect they are yours. I descend from Wilhelmina Emma Logsdon (1859) I was wondering where you managed to find the parentage of Wilhelmina Coralie, I have puzzled over this for years and expect her baptism was in France. Have you any idea when she came to England? And have you ever found a marriage for her?
Would be interested to hear from you if you have the time
Sue

Hi. Yes it is very difficult and I have hit some real brick walls on this one. I know somewhere in our family tree there is a French ancestor (as a story in the family always has said that one of our ancestors was the Aide to Napoleon, and this line is where I think it comes from).

The 1861 and 1871 Census Records lists Wilhelmina (Wilhelmine) being born in Paris, France and being the wife of James Logsdon and they make her DOB as being 1935/1936.

The only record of birth I can find is the Record for 'Wilhelmine Sidonie de Layve' (6 April 1835).

I have not yet found any marriage fact.

Hope that this helps?

Richard

Hello Richard,
Thanks for your reply. It would be wonderful to have a link to Napoleon, On my Husband's side we have a link to Nelson!
I think we are the same with the 61/71 censuses, that is all I really have. Apart from I think she has signed Napoleon James Logsdon's Marriage record as a witness. And the name there is Wilhelmina Coralie Versigny de Vere. I have just sent for his birth cert in a hope to get her name. This could also indicate that they didn't actually marry. To add to the complication, the same person has signed as a witness to one of her daughter's marriages with different fornames but Versigny Logsdon as the surname. I am convinced the handwriting is the same!
Would you like me to let you know when my cert arrives?
Sue

Hi Sue
Many thanks for some extremely interesting information. I would be most grateful for any information that you have to share with me. I have contacted the International Napoleonic Society to see if they can help with a list of the Aides of Napoleon, thinking that I might be able to trace some information from them. I have not heard anything from them yet but will let you know if anything positive comes from it.
Kind regards
Richard