View Single Post
Old 05-04-14, 06:45

Default Cleveland Edmund Page

Cleve Page was the second son of Captain (Ret) Reuben Edmund Page (my great-grandfather) and his first wife Beatrice Mary nee Dawson. He was born on 13 April 1892 at Hamilton, a suburb of Newcastle NSW. He went to school at Auburn and Granville (probably Auburn Public School and Granville Boys High) in Sydney.

He volunteered for Service Abroad with the Australian Imperial Force on 19th August 1914, aged 22years and 4 months. He was a plumber, having completed his apprenticeship a few years earlier but lived with his parents and siblings at Macquarie-road, Auburn, Sydney NSW.

He was given the service number of 70 and appointed with the rank of Sapper to the 1st Field Company Royal Australian Engineers, where his father had been a Quartermaster (Honorary) Captain until 1908.

He embarked on the HMAT (His Majesty's Australian Transport) "Afric" on 18th October 1914, bound for Egypt with the 1st Australian Division.

He was killed by a sniper on the first day of action at Gallipoli, Turkey.

This brief account comes from the local paper, given by another local man who was also involved in the first day of the Gallipoli campaign.
(Private Jack Sargood, writing to his friend Joe Hyer)

"Now Joe, I will tell you about Cleve Page. Auburn should be proud of its soldiers at the front. While I was coming down to the beach, I met young J. Smith who lived near the Auburn Hospital. He told me that Cleve Page was killed. It appears that Page, with another man from the Engineers charged and captured a machine gun and killed about seven Turks. While they were coming back to the beach, they were both shot dead by snipers"

Cleve is buried in the Shrapnel Valley Cemetery near Anzac Cove, Gallipoli.

The inventory of his effects, in his service file were "2 brown paper parcels" containing "cards, housewife (sewing kit), pendant, cigarette case, h'chief" and "letters, gold-ring, purse, coins, pocket-book, cards"

Cleve Page, left and a mate, name unknown

Original graves, Shrapnel Valley

Diane

Last edited by marquette; 05-04-14 at 07:37.