View Single Post
Old 02-06-19, 20:51

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
It would be much cheaper (free!) to post whatever you are stuck with, or want to find out more about, on our Research board and see if we can help you!!

Click 'New Thread' here:

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/F...isplay.php?f=4
Many thanks, I already had a huge amount of help from the Rootschat site & several very kind individuals who found names, dates and certificates for me.

This is where the trail ended: a documented army pensioner in Southwark, London. There were over a dozen hits for his name but no-one succeeded in identifying his unit, it just ended in a 'bump', after a great deal of effort on behalf of the forum - great thanks to them. That man was probably my gt gt paternal grandfather who fathered my gt grandmother out-of-marriage, so you can see the difficulty, her birth certificate is blank for the father's name, it's worse than looking for a needle in a haystack, it might be a completely unrelated needle at that. His name is recorded by a registrar on gt gt grandmother's marriage certificate, and that's that, no actual proof that he was present in person or even that he was in fact the father - the name used is quite a common one, it isn't unusual at all.