View Single Post
Old 30-06-15, 21:29

His trial:

Old Bailey Proceedings, 15th September 1819.
1106. WILLIAM HENRY BOND was indicted for stealing, on the 28th of July , at St. Matthew, Bethnal-green , two coats, value 4 l.; three waistcoats, value 12 s.; one hat, value 21 s., and seven pair of stockings, value 3 s. 6 d., the property of Robert Dakers , in the dwelling-house of Samuel Dakers .

SAMUEL DAKERS . I keep the Camden's Head, public-house , in the parish of St. Matthew, Bethnal-green ; the prisoner lodged at my house on Monday and Tuesday, the 26th and 27th of July - he was missing at breakfast on the 27th; he had said the night before that he should breakfast with us, but did not. I went up stairs, found him gone, and the lock forced off my brother's box which was in the room where he slept - it was emptied. I missed a sheet off his bed - he had not paid for his lodging. Nobody slept in the room but him.

ROBERT DAKERS . I am brother to the last witness; my box was in the room where the prisoner slept - I did not lodge there that night. I had left my box, locked, on Sunday, and had the key in my pocket. On Wednesday I was fetched, and found the articles stated in the indictment gone, which were worth 5 l. 15 s. 6 d.

THOMAS BURFORD . I am constable of Bromley. On the 9th of August, about nine o'clock at night, I was sent for to the Bird in Hand, and took the prisoner into custody - the landlord gave me a bundle in the prisoner's presence, which he said he left there, the prisoner acknowledged it - it contained three pair of stockings, a pair of gloves, and other things. He gave no account of them.

JOHN ELY . I keep the Bird in Hand. On the 9th of August, about half-past six o'clock in the morning, the prisoner came with two bundles, he sat down in the taproom, and had some beer; in about an hour and a half he asked if he might leave the bundles while he went down to Bow He returned in about two hours, and took one away; returned afterwards, and sold a pair of sheets out of the other bundle to a man for 9 s. In the course of the afternoon I had information, and gave him in charge with the other bundle.

(Property produced and sworn to.)

Prisoner's Defence. I paid his wife for my lodgings, and left.

GUILTY . - DEATH . Aged 40.

Second Middlesex Jury, before Mr. Justice Richardson.