View Single Post
Old 30-09-21, 07:20
Administrator

I deliberately didn't mention OC's Charlotte/Lottie (I think?) dilemma! I still remember turning up the death record for the older girl and my brain refusing to
process what could have happened!

I forgot to mention, in OH's cousin's case there were not two women walking around with the same details as the child who was registered died aged 6. I did wonder if this had any impact on the use of her birth cert, but I'm thinking most likely not.

In general I was surprised when the 1939 Register became available that so many people had the correct dob! Having said that, when they are incorrect it's very often just the year that is wrong (my gran's entry is incorrect, as expected, with an illegible number altered to 1895 and then altered again to 1898, but she was born in 1892). Also, those that appear to be incorrect often do match with their death record, 25+ years later, so a date has been preserved by them/their family etc over a long time.

In OH's relative's instance I would never had realised the signficance of the date if she and her cousin had been born in England/Wales because I wouldn't have paid for the "other" birth cert just to see the date, but of course many decades of registrations are available free to view for Ireland.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010