View Single Post
Old 03-06-19, 13:06

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
If you are referring to serving during WW1, if he had any children born during 1914-1918 his service number may be on their birth certificate. If his army documents are within the surviving ones on Ancestry then his wife and any children born should be indexed by Ancestry.

Perhaps you meant before his marriage though? (given his age). How do you know he served? Does it show up for one of his census records?

Was told my grandfather served in the (second?) Boer War & was economical about his age to get in the army. He was too old to enlist for the First World War, he managed to get into the Home Guard during WW2 but was turned away when they spotted his medals, so he was too old for that as well. Poor soul had died of natural causes by 1944, so it may be fortunate he was not allowed access to weaponry at this advanced stage of his life, I understand his eye-sight was challenging at this time also.

Yes, he was in the army. When my father was on leave (WW2 RAF electrician) he popped in on his father in Bromley, who was ill in bed at this stage, & listened to my grandfather describing the marching past of his regiment from memory, as in a parade. I'd love to know what regiment this was?