View Single Post
Old 05-11-20, 08:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I am starting wonder what value DNA results actually are, except to the commercial companies. I attended a zoom lecture on Saturday, where the speaker said exactly what Kite has said.

The trouble is that I am really not interested in close relationships. The lines that interest me are pre-census, which takes them outside the scope of reliable DNA matches. I have one or two where I am related to 4th grandparents via 3 or 4 children's descendants matches, but that is vanishingly rare. (and they are within the scope of censuses)

I am the same, its nice to find the close relationships, but I am looking for DNA matches to my Dads 3g grandmothers and grandfathers as the parish records are missing or useless.

However, small DNA matches with good family trees from several people show me that my choice to research a particular family seems to be correct as Ancestry is showing up common ancestors.

I have a couple of anomalies - like my daughter who has a match to a man whose family tree matches up with ours, but he has no DNA match to her grandfather. And a common ancestor is suggested by Ancestry for one of Dad's 3g grandfathers, but they don't have a good enough tree and I don't think the dates match up very well.

I am always surprised that even 5cM of common DNA is so distinctive among people who have 5xg (or greater) grandparents in common.