View Single Post
Old 01-06-19, 18:31
Administrator

Quote:
Although just a fabricated story in my head, the idea of the squire's son being intimate with a seemingly non-Christian servant (going by her surname) then shirking his duties and not appearing on the baptism years later just seems to make sense, even though I have no real evidence to back it up. I do know for sure that Arthur Snr did father her child though.
I think most fathers wouldn't appear on the baptism for an illegitimate child except where the vicar was particularly vigilant. A lot of men from all social classes shirked their duties if they possibly could, but I do accept that the reason (or a good reason why) Arthur sr didn't marry Sarah was because of their social differences.

I don't think we can view Sarah Ann as a non-Christian given that her siblings all seem to have been baptised in the Church of England, whatever her historical background. Have you had a DNA test done to see if you have Jewish DNA?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010