View Single Post
Old 16-09-16, 16:47

Progress - so far, none! But ..................................

1. I contacted the guy on Ancestry who had the McDermotts in his tree. He is related to them and was (initially) terribly keen to help. I told him the tale and heard absolutely nothing more from him. Maybe he knows something, or maybe he objected to the words "illegitimate" and "workhouse" in the same sentence. (He was awfully posh")

2. I contacted the parish church in Carrick on Shannon. They were so helpful and tried so hard, but, there is no baptism record for Thomas there. They did tell me that the Carrick workhouse was responsible for a large area, including Roscommon. On census, Thomas is born in Boyle, Roscommon.

3. So, I've written to the parish church in Boyle, Roscommon asking them if his baptism record is there. Not heard anything yet. (I had to use snail mail).

4. Contacted the main Leitrim library. Again, they have been amazing. One of the staff has "taken me on" personally and is going to find out anything and everything she can.

5. Contacted the Carrick on Shannon history society. Another fantastic group of people who have pledged assistance. I'm to come up at their next meeting!

So, fingers crossed that out of this, and these wonderful Irish people, I get some answers. I will let you know