View Single Post
Old 23-07-19, 22:41

Default Should I get the cert, but which one.

For years I have been trying to find the death of Martha Anne Brown, nee Johnson, known as Annie, my GGM. Last confirmed sighting was in Nottingham in 1901, with 6 of her children. No sign of her in 1911, all the children have been accounted for, she is not at the address of the 1901. I have checked all the possible deaths for Martha Anne/Martha/Anne/Annie Brown between the dates of 1901-1911, have sent off for a couple of death certificates of possibles but have found no trace of her.

There was a possibility (from an old, slightly garbled family story) that she might have remarried, and I found the marriage in 1906 between Thomas Temperton and Annie Brown. In 1911 Thomas Temperton is a widower, living with his 24 year old son. He is 57 years old, which would make him around the same age as Annie. I then found a death for a Martha Anne Temperton in 1910, aged 55. Although the age is a few years out for my Annie (she had already lopped off a couple by 1901) I am wondering if this could be her.

Would a death cert give the names of all previous husbands, or would it be worth it to get the marriage certificate. As far as I can tell there are no online records for Nottingham that could help me, and i couldn't find any newspaper entries for them.

Thanks.