View Single Post
Old 07-09-16, 03:51

Sorry, Karen, I didn't see until today that you had posted again. It's been the long Labor Day weekend here, and a very busy one for me.

What I am attempting to do with David Pickles is to fill in as nearly a complete template as possible with his vital statistics, such as you see in post #1 here for Mary [Hargreaves?]. I have a separate thread for him, a very early one for me, that is shot through with errors. I've been working on it last night and earlier today and I may post that shortly if I don't fall asleep over my keyboard. Don't worry, I have no doubt now that David Pickles and Martha Shackleton are the parents of our Robert Pickles. It's just that others on the forum who have very helpfully lent a hand will want to see how we got here from there. It helps to have the data readily available.

The memorial inscriptions are from our cousin Alison in England who emailed me that
"The Pickles grave is [...] up against the church wall. [...] The writing on the grave was only just legible.

"The inscription is as follows: in Memory of Mary, wife of John Pickles of Cowling, who departed this life 3.11.1822 aged 74 years. Also of the above named John Pickles who departed this life 15.11.1829 aged 66 years.

"Also David Pickles, son of the above, who died 22.11.1829 aged 54.also Martha his widow who died 1845 aged 54 years. Also Ann, wife of Robert Pickles who died May 11th 1845 aged 23 years. Also the said Robert Pickles who died 28.11.1878 aged 59."
(I'm not sure where the error in the year of death for John's son David crept in. It should be 1841.)

Let's not discount Peter Hargreaves just yet. Stranger things have happened.

That's it, I'm too cross-eyed to continue. I'll try to post my new David Pickles materials promptly. (Just not tonight!)

Janet (Niagara)

Last edited by Janet; 08-09-16 at 01:27. Reason: just not tonight