View Single Post
Old 10-04-16, 23:56

Question Percival George Horne - missing in 1891?

Hi all,

I'm trying to locate Percy Horne's family on the 1891 census. He was registered as George Percy Horne in Elham, Kent Dec 1880, but he went by the name Percival George Horne in later life. He died in 1917 during the First World War.

I have him, as a baby, at home with his parents in Folkestone in 1881, as a boarder in Chertsey in 1901, and at home with his first wife in 1911.

There do appear to be a couple of other Horne families in Kent, but I am unsure what to make of the discrepancies. For example, one of them has George Horne (the father) born in Ruckinge, Kent -- Percy's father (also a George) is down as being born in Chertsey, and I think that is where the family were from as it's where Percy eventually moved back to.

There are some baptisms on Ancestry for some other Horne children, and I suspect they will be for two (or more) separate families:

Herbert Henry Horne (died as a baby)
John Thomas Horne
Walter Horne
George Frederick Hodgson Horne

I think I have found Percy's father in 1871, living as a boarder in Chertsey, but I can't find him or his wife (Jane or Eliza Jane?) after 1881, or Percy in 1891. I assume George is still alive until at least 1904, as he is not mentioned as deceased on Percy's marriage entry.

Can anyone find this particular Horne family? I think the Ruckinge lot are a different family and I'm trying to unravel the two.

Thank you.