View Single Post
Old 19-02-24, 21:37

We were on holiday in Scarborough and in a book shop when OH spotted a book titled ‘Research your family history’. He bought it, it wasn’t a reference book but something to fill in yourself. I warned him it wasn’t an easy task that would be completed quickly. I got books out of the library about researching your family history. This was pre internet. Worked back steadily applying for certs from various record offices around the country. Then I bought the 1881 census discs. OH then spotted an advert for Genes Reunited once we’d got online. I joined and it progressed from there. I well remember waiting for the 1891 census to be released on fiche at my local library, only for the local area of course and not indexed. We visited churches and graveyards around the country. My daughters were given a notepad and a pencil and told what names to look for. They were about 8 and 6.
OH used to do most of the record office work, write down all he could of a particular name and I’d work it out when he got home.

One interesting time he was delivering wines and spirits for Bass in Leicester and finished early, lorry empty. Asked his boss if he could park up and visit Leicester record office. He agreed as long as the lorry was safe.
He asked for the parish records for Exton in Rutland. They said, ‘oh that gentleman over there has them, if you take a seat next to him I expect he will share’. He did and the other chap asked what name he was looking for. OH said, ‘Newey’. This chap said, ‘but that’s my name, who are you?’.

Turned out he was my second cousin on my mother’s side. We spoke on the phone that night. We’ve kept in touch ever since, Christmas cards, but I’ve still not met him.