View Single Post
Old 01-02-20, 14:30

But Merry, it is a very well known fact that all upper class men are evil rapists and all working class women are pure demure maidens who only give up.their virtue under force!

Imagine - you are a scullery maid and you've been a bit fast and loose with the boot boy. Now you sre pregnant, he can't marry you because he hasn't got a penny to his name, or he doesn't want to and you are being sent home in disgrace. Your dad is going to.kill you. So you tell him it was the young master (or the old one!) and that he forced you. Your parents can now face the neighbours who will gladly believe this tale and you get all the sympathy.

I am sure some women were raped. I am equally sure than most were not raped and did what they did willingly. Human nature and sexual attraction was ever thus.

I also have several instances in my tree where it is obvious that the father or his parents made discreet arrangements for the child and the mother suddenly was able to support herself and her child without working.

OC