View Single Post
Old 07-05-12, 16:36
Administrator

Quote:
The William Spence on Queen Street in the 1851 says he is born Linton-on-Ouse; and Helen Spence, the mother of a possibly illegitimate Elizabeth in the link Merry just gave us, is also born Linton-on-Ouse (mistranscribed by Ancestry as Linton-on-Crise or some such).
Yes, I just this second realised that and was about to post, but you beat me to it!! lol

Quote:
I'm afraid I'm not following you, Merry, about her not being the daughter of the family Kate posted. You mean the one in post #7? Oh, I think I'm getting it. You see two Elizabeth Spences in 1861; one is still with that same family and the other one is elsewhere?
That's exactly right!! One is here in 1851 and still with the same parents in 1861

William Spence Head Mar 47 Labourer Yorks Linton on Ouse
Elizabeth Do Wife Mar 48 Do Warthill
Jesse Do Son U 19 Labourer York
William Do Son U 14 Scholar York
Elizabeth Do Daur 13 Scholar York

and the other is a servant somewhere, b 1843/4 which is the right age for the 1871 bride. (sorry, didn't take notes, but she was easy to find!)

Could Ellen/Helen (b 1816) be the sister of the William above and George be the son of the William above? Then Elizabeth uses the name Wm for her father when she marries because she doesn't want to appear illegitimate?

I can force them to fit!!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010