Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Family History News and Information (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Wills now only £1.50! (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=27915)

ElizabethHerts 22-07-19 21:07

Wills now only £1.50!

Was previously £10 - now £1.50.
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk...eaxPFfBmi1w77U

I can feel a spending spree coming on!

kiterunner 22-07-19 21:48

Wow, that's great! Think I will order a few tomorrow. I bet the waiting times are going to go up a lot though.

kiterunner 22-07-19 21:49

Your link doesn't work, Elizabeth.

ElizabethHerts 23-07-19 07:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiterunner (Post 361536)
Your link doesn't work, Elizabeth.

Sorry!

I couldn't see anything about the price, so I chose my grandfather's will, added it to my basket and then viewed the basket, which indeed said it cost £1.50.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

This link is just for the search page.

JayG 23-07-19 08:44

Thanks for posting about this Liza.

I've had a list of various wills I would be interested in since the probate index went online but couldn't justify the previous cost as they are all for none direct ancestors.

Now to find where i've put that list and order some!

ElizabethHerts 23-07-19 08:51

I've just ordered 10 wills for £15!

It's great to be able to order wills for siblings of direct ancestors without worrying about the cost.

Just Gillian 23-07-19 10:37

Thanks Elizabeth!!!

Now, where did I put that list......

Phoenix 23-07-19 13:23

Why can I never remember which I want when I need them? But I have ordered the old lady from "Hull" (actually Hyde, Cheshire!)'s will.

Thank you so much, Elizabeth!

ElizabethHerts 24-07-19 13:16

Order what you want in the next 12 months as the price might change again:

http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazi...next-12-months

Mary from Italy 25-07-19 01:37

Wow, that's interesting!

Kit 31-07-19 02:28

Wow. I could spend a fortune.

I don't really need to feed the kids, do I? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't know where I'd start. ;( :confused: :d

Kit 31-07-19 03:21

Does ancestry have these records? It's so hard to search as the text is tiny.

Also how long does it usually take to process a will? I don't think many of my direct line actually had one.

Merry 31-07-19 06:41

Toni, this is Ancestry's index:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/co.../ukprobatecal/

and then here it tells you how to order them etc:

https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inh...robate-records

Kit 31-07-19 07:40

Thanks Merry.

I can work out how to order one, I meant if there was a will long after the person died did it normally take to go through probate? I know it can take forever but in most cases, in the experience of those here, would it all be done within a year or two?

Merry 31-07-19 08:05

If you know the year they died, then enter that and the entry should still come up even if probate was much later.

Kit 31-07-19 08:32

Thanks. I thought I had to keep searching for several, or more, years afterwards. That makes it easier to work out there isn't a will.

kiterunner 31-07-19 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merry (Post 361715)
If you know the year they died, then enter that and the entry should still come up even if probate was much later.

Just to clarify - this is true if you're searching on ancestry, but not if you're searching on the government probate site (except for very recent years).

Kit 31-07-19 13:24

Thanks Kate.

ElizabethHerts 06-08-19 11:44

I ordered 15 wills on 23rd July, all with an expected delivery date of 7th August (tomorrow).

One arrived for downloading on 1st August (the most recent one, date 1983).

I'm still (impatiently) waiting for the other 14. I keep checking my e-mails!

Phoenix 06-08-19 12:25

My three are due tomorrow too. Looking for great things from one of them.

ElizabethHerts 06-08-19 12:36

I hope you get the information you are hoping for, Phoenix.

Phoenix 06-08-19 13:27

And you, Elizabeth!

ElizabethHerts 06-08-19 15:46

I have added some wills to my basket and in due course I shall order them.

I did smile at what appears on the page with my basket:

"You’ll be able to access the wills for 31 days.

Please allow 10 working days for your documents to be made available*

Wills are provided for personal use only: you must get the relatives’ permission if you want to publish them in any way."

Phoenix 06-08-19 16:12

Lol!

But they presumably mean beneficiaries and any other person whose personal details might appear.

ElizabethHerts 06-08-19 16:26

Yes, I think I know what they mean, but the bulk of wills I am buying are from well over 100 years ago and I don't think anyone connected with them is around to care!

I do remember my mother-in-law being very shocked when she realised that you can buy wills. She was most indignant and thought that they were private.

Lynn the Forest Fan 06-08-19 19:00

I am very excited, as I have just ordered 2 wills, my mum's dad's (with her permission) and my great great grandma's. Just a shame i haven't found more yet, but I will keep looking at that price!

Olde Crone 06-08-19 20:11

Surely wills are in the public domain and always have been? To prevent fraud, for one thing.

OC

ElizabethHerts 06-08-19 20:29

Wills are fundamentally in the public domain. Newspaper often publish details of the latest wills and the bequests made. I remember my grandmother reading them, as well as the hatches, matches and dispatches.

Kit 07-08-19 01:36

I searched my direct line for Dad's side and only found one will. I'm so disappointed.

I don't expect much better for Mum's and I've ordered the ones I really wanted/needed for OH years ago. His side will be just for nosey purposes for the main part.

Margaret in Burton 07-08-19 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts (Post 361945)
I do remember my mother-in-law being very shocked when she realised that you can buy wills. She was most indignant and thought that they were private.

A few years back I put in for a standing search for an uncle of my husbands will for when it was published as he had recently died and my father in law was certain that nieces had persuaded his brother to alter his will in favour of them. He had no children and had promised to see the family ok. As it turned out father in law was right but we couldn’t prove any wrong doing.

When he tackled said nieces about it, holding the will in his hand as I had received it the day after it went to probate, they accused him of skulduggery in getting his hands on something they thought was private.

I think they still wonder how on Earth he got hold of it so quickly. He never told them I was behind it.

ElizabethHerts 08-08-19 07:50

The estimated delivery date for all my wills was 7th August. One was added last Friday and no more have appeared yet, so 9 out of the 10 are now overdue.

I'm trying to be patient...

Four are for siblings of my great-great-grandmother, born Eliza Jeffcoat. I also ordered the will of her daughter by her first marriage.

Margaret in Burton 08-08-19 10:46

I expect they’ve been inundated with applications due to the reduced price.

ElizabethHerts 08-08-19 11:17

Yes, Marg, I think they were being overly optimistic with their predictions.

ElizabethHerts 09-08-19 17:50

Interesting!

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/pr...070606.article

ElizabethHerts 12-08-19 09:33

I've ordered another 16 wills today. :o

They all have an estimated delivery date of 27th August, except for one, which has an EDD of 14th August. The reason for this is that the will in question is from 2018, so it seems that recent ones are being dealt with as priority.

Phoenix 20-08-19 13:40

First will here! (in spam, naturally:rolleyes:)

Margaret in Burton 21-08-19 21:22

Must be speeding up. I ordered a Will yesterday and received it today. When I ordered it said 10 working days.

Phoenix 22-08-19 06:32

Ah, but what date was it? I suspect that the most recent wills are instantly accessible, probably without human intervention, and this is what has prompted the drop in price. Four weeks on, I'm still waiting for my third will, from the 1920s.

Margaret in Burton 22-08-19 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix (Post 362423)
Ah, but what date was it? I suspect that the most recent wills are instantly accessible, probably without human intervention, and this is what has prompted the drop in price. Four weeks on, I'm still waiting for my third will, from the 1920s.

Yes you could be right. A couple of years old..

NickiP 22-08-19 23:37

I ordered one on 26 July with estimated delivery of 10 August, still waiting.

I also suspect if by chance the Will has already been digitised then the delivery is quicker, just got to order one somebody else has wanted previously ..