Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Family History General Discussion (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Which comics did you read as a child? (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=27483)

ElizabethHerts 06-03-19 11:36

Which comics did you read as a child?

We've just been discussing this.

The first comic I used to have was Robin. My sister had Girl and my brother had Eagle.

I remember when Princess came out and having that for a while, and my sister had Honey. Also School Friend.

There must have been others we had, but those are the ones I remember most.

kiterunner 06-03-19 12:34

Treasure, Look In, Judy, Bunty, "June and School Friend" (two comics had merged), Princess Tina (I think that was also two which had merged), Pink. I occasionally read Tammy. My sister would get one comic and I would get a different one and then we would swop over. And my brother got the Beano, the Dandy, and a few others which I also read. I'm sure there are some more I can't think of the names of right now. There were some very good serials in some of them. "Patty's World" in Princess Tina was one of our favourites.

I thought Honey was a teen magazine rather than a comic, somewhat glossier than Jackie (which I also had). There were a few pop magazines I used to read too - "Music Star" and "It's Here and Now". Oh, and Popswap.

ElizabethHerts 06-03-19 12:38

Yes, Honey was a magazine rather than a comic. It was a natural progression after comics for girls.

Phoenix 06-03-19 13:25

Bunty, Judy and either Look and Learn or Finding Out.

Mum said that once we could read, they had to avoid anything that said "educational" on it, as we would smell a rat!

Whichever we had, I remember reading for the Greek myths, where the young women always had white skins, and the young men always brown. Which puzzled me.

Olde Crone 06-03-19 13:33

Ooh, Sunny Stories then School Friend. My brother and I were not allowed Girl and Eagle because my father said they were capitalist rags! ( No, I never did know what that meant!)

When I hit teenage years my father subscribed to the Young Elizabethan for me. This was an extremely worthy intellectual liberal magazine for young nerds as far as I could tell and I continued to read my friends' cast off teenage mags, or even mum's hidden Woman's Own, which hinted at interesting secrets on the problem pages, lol and contained long articles about the importance of personal daintiness, hhaha!I

OC

Merry 06-03-19 13:37

Don't remember many - Bunty and Twinkle when I was little and Jackie when I was about 12.

maggie_4_7 06-03-19 15:25

Beano, Dandy, Bunty and the Judy.

Sue from Southend 06-03-19 17:05

Robin - I won a colouring competition to go to Billy Smart's Circus :d
Progressing to Bunty. Who can forget the Four Marys!
And then of course Jackie....

ElizabethHerts 06-03-19 17:14

Interesting replies. Comics these days don't exist in the same format as in the 1950s and 1960s. Everything is themed these days. My little granddaughters would go for Peppa Pig and my grandson loves everything Pokemon, although he gets a monthly magazine called Aquila, which is very informative. It is something he can save and look at as he gets older and more involved in some of the subject areas. He loved the issue on Supervolcanoes.

Tilly Mint 06-03-19 18:37

Beano and Dandy, then Bunty and Judy, then Jackie and a little later the Romeo.

Lindsay 06-03-19 20:21

Sunny Stories, then Bunty while my sister had Judy. I still remember some of the stories - Wee Slavey, about a Victorian scullery maid, and another about an orphaned girl forced to play table tennis by her wicked grandmother (sounds bizarre when it's written like that!).

Later on Jackie, then Cosmo.

Jenoco 07-03-19 17:38

I had Girl, my sister Bunty and brother Eagle (remember Dan Dare!). I also remember reading School Friend.

anne fraser 08-03-19 14:40

I had sunny stories as well, I think it was an Enid Blyton magazine, then knowledge (my mum was a teacher). When I was a bit older I had princess and swapped with my friends for Bunty, Judy and School friend. Any one remember SUE Day and the happy Days.

ElizabethHerts 08-03-19 15:11

Oh, Anne, we had Knowledge too. It was very interesting.

anne fraser 09-03-19 06:29

You could buy binders for it and it built into an encyclopedia. I learnt a lot from it.

ElizabethHerts 09-03-19 08:28

I found three or four binders full of Knowledge magazines in my Mum's loft when she died in 2004.

Chris in Sussex 10-03-19 01:10

I had 'Knowledge' binders too, I think I was given them by a cousin back in the '60s, I wish I had kept them.

I had Bunty and then, when the TV related comics started, 'Lady Penelope' from issue one.

'Lady Penelope' is probably worth a small fortune to collectors, so wish I had kept them! In fact my sister and I insisted we had our own copies so small fortune x 2 ;(

I moved onto 'Jackie' in 1969......The problem page was a great talking point in the first year of my all girls school:d

Chris

Phoenix 10-03-19 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris in Sussex (Post 357763)

I moved onto 'Jackie' in 1969......The problem page was a great talking point in the first year of my all girls school:d

Chris

Ah yes, the problems page.

"I am 15 3/4 and I haven't told my parents I am six months pregnant"

I have often wondered what on earth happened to those poor girls and their children.

Nell 11-03-19 17:40

Bunty and Princess Tina. There was also June & Schoolfriend but I don't recall reading it. My brother and I used to collect our magazines on a Friday from the newsagent near our school. They were put by for us, which I thought was very posh! I read his mags too - Dandy and Beano. I liked the story strip about Marina from Thunderbirds but can't remember which mag it was in.

I remember there was a serial about a girl with a lovely voice who was freckly and did the singing behind a curtain while a more glamorous looking girl mimed. Not very pc!

Our cousins passed on their Treasure and Look & Learn. One of them had a comic strip story about Roman emperors which I found useful when I read "I, Claudius" in my teens.

Jackie was a stepping stone between girls' mags and the more sophisticated Honey, Petticoat and 19.

kiterunner 13-03-19 17:06

One of my local charity shops has a big pile of issues of Tammy from 1979 in the window for 99p each. A bit after my time, though.

JessBow 24-03-19 08:37

I am glad someone else remembers 'Sunny stories'.
My dad was a book binder and as part of his training he bound some into hard back books, 10 or so at a time I guess.
I wonder what happened to them?

Anstey Nomad 27-03-19 14:19

Beano, June and School Friend and then, of course Jackie. We also had something called Petticoat, which was sort of half comic/half magazine. That dealt with the thorny issue of teen pregnancy and other such things.

Fab208 was an early teenage joy, pics of Henry Darrow and other forgotten teenage hearthrobs.

Phoenix 27-03-19 14:51

Henry Darrow... *sighs*
At least he wore better than Blue.

kiterunner 28-03-19 21:50

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...comic-specials