Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Family History News and Information (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Six in Six Parish Records project - findmypast (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=25417)

kiterunner 12-04-17 15:51

Six in Six Parish Records project - findmypast

Just seen this on FMP:

Our exciting Six Counties in Six Months project will see the online publication of vital parish records from six counties across England over the next six months.

They say that the six counties which will be added over the next six months are:
Wiltshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Nottinghamshire, Somerset, and Warwickshire, with the first one, Wiltshire, having already been added last week.

The Wiltshire records which they refer to are parish register transcriptions without images, so will the other counties be the same? Ancestry already has the images for Warwickshire and part of Somerset, and FMP already has a large database of Nottinghamshire transcriptions. I hope they are adding either images or transcriptions of the parishes which they are missing at the moment.

Sue from Southend 12-04-17 16:05

Personally - I'm looking forward to Berkshire! Let's hope for images .....

Mary from Italy 12-04-17 16:13

I'm looking forward to Warwickshire, because Ancestry's transcriptions are absolutely abysmal. Particularly for very old records I have to search on FamilySearch (whose Warks transcriptions are mostly very good) and then find the image on Ancestry.

ElizabethHerts 12-04-17 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue from Southend (Post 335041)

Yes, Sue, that's the one I want too. I am completely stuck on my 3x-great-grandmother, and Berkshire Family History Society hadn't got a record of her either. I need to trawl through the images.

Lindsay 12-04-17 17:38

I have my fingers crossed for Buckinghamshire images.

ElizabethHerts 12-04-17 17:44

Lindsay, I want the Buckinghamshire ones too, but I already have a lot of the ones I need as I can visit easily.

Rick 12-04-17 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue from Southend (Post 335041)

The County Archivist had a long-standing opposition to digitisation of the PRs. When he retired in 2015, he was succeeded by his deputy, who shared his views. When asked last year, he repeated that there were no plans to allow their digitisation. So my bet would be that FMP are publishing transcripts from Berks FHS.

ElizabethHerts 12-04-17 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick (Post 335056)
The County Archivist had a long-standing opposition to digitisation of the PRs. When he retired in 2015, he was succeeded by his deputy, who shared his views. When asked last year, he repeated that there were no plans to allow their digitisation. So my bet would be that FMP are publishing transcripts from Berks FHS.

Well, that won't help me then! My 3x-great-grandmother Martha Franklin was supposedly born c. 1794 in Newbury, but the Berks. FHS couldn't find any record for her.

Lindsay 12-04-17 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick (Post 335056)
The County Archivist had a long-standing opposition to digitisation of the PRs.

Do you know why? I'd have thought digitisation was a useful source of income.

ElizabethHerts 12-04-17 20:35

I think Buckinghamshire has had to change its ways too. A few years back they did say to me that technology was a huge challenge to them.