Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Research Questions (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   "Stationed at" ? (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1624)

Muggins in Sussex 31-10-09 13:48

"Stationed at" ?

This person is described on his marriage certificate in 1948 as "Stationed at Lubeck Schleswig Holstein" and in the wedding photograph is wearing what look like an army uniform.

I had always assumed that this meant he was in the Army.

But could he have been working for the Save the Children Fund instead?

Thank you

Mary from Italy 31-10-09 14:37

I don't think the SCF wear uniforms. Salvation Army, maybe? Not sure if they work abroad.

Muggins in Sussex 31-10-09 14:50

Thanks Mary - it looks like a British Army uniform to me - it's just that I was told he wa sin Germany working for the Save the Children Fund - for various reasons, I am sure it would not have been the Salvation Army.

Assuming this person was in the army, another thing is puzzling me....He wouldn't have joined up until at least mid-1945, as he was a registered conscientious objector. So would he be regarded as a WW2 veteran?

Rachel 31-10-09 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muggins in Sussex (Post 37726)
This person is described on his marriage certificate in 1948 as "Stationed at Lubeck Schleswig Holstein" and in the wedding photograph is wearing what look like an army uniform.

Are you able to chop off his head (or identifying bits) and show us the uniform ?

Muggins in Sussex 31-10-09 16:51

Rachel, thanks

I "snuck" the photo - it is quite clear on my PC but when it is uploaded to photobucket, it is barely recognisable :eek:

Rachel 31-10-09 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muggins in Sussex (Post 37774)
Rachel, thanks

I "snuck" the photo - it is quite clear on my PC but when it is uploaded to photobucket, it is barely recognisable :eek:

Joan ~ do you want to email it to me ?
That way you won't need to go through PBucket

will pm my address in case you've lost it

buzzing off for the evening but will be back !

Nell 31-10-09 20:00

"stationed at..." isn't an occupation, it's a statement of location!

Muggins in Sussex 01-11-09 08:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel (Post 37776)
Joan ~ do you want to email it to me ?
That way you won't need to go through PBucket

will pm my address in case you've lost it

buzzing off for the evening but will be back !

Thanks Rachel - have e-mailed you

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nell (Post 37798)
"stationed at..." isn't an occupation, it's a statement of location!

Hi Nell - not sure why but I always assumed "stationed at" was a term which referred to the arned forces :o:o:o

Nell 01-11-09 10:02

Hi Muggins, it certainly sounds military. What I meant was, its a shame they didn't give his rank and regiment. Even if it just said "soldier" or "gunner" you'd have more to go on.

Muggins in Sussex 01-11-09 18:11

Sorry Nell - I think I misunderstood :o - Am getting increasingly dippy these days :d