Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Francis Goring 26 Aug 1755 (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=11334)

geniebug 21-08-11 00:27

Francis Goring 26 Aug 1755

This week, we are focussing on your father's mother's father's father's father's father.

Name - "official" name and what they were known as Francis Goring
Date and place of birth Baptised 26 Aug 1755 St Martin in the Fields, Westminster, London
Names of parents Abraham Gorringe & Ann Lloyd (Abraham had a brother Richard and sister in law Sarah who became Mrs James Grespel all of whom lived in London. 1770
Date and place of baptism - if applicable
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any Abraham & Ann were married 19 Nov 1753 St George Chapel, Mayfair
Occupation(s) - if any Abraham was a bookseller in London (in May's Building)
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).

I don't need to know anything about Francis, as there is a lot of documentation about him,. but am stuck with Abraham Gorringe and his wife.

Sue from Southend 22-08-11 12:31

There's a Administration listed on FMP dated 1780 for Abraham Garringe

Forenames: Abraham
Surname: Garringe
Month: Jan
Year: 1780
Type of record: Administration
Court: Archdeaconry Court Of Middlesex
Place: St Martin In The Fields
County: Middlesex
Notes:
Record source: London Probate Index 1750-1858

Data provider: Dr David Wright

They say that the record is to be found the LMA. It doesn't seem to come up on Ancestry unfortunately

geniebug 22-08-11 21:49

Thanks Sue, Im from Australia. I know FMP is Find my past, but what is LMA?
What do you think they mean by Administration?

kiterunner 22-08-11 22:22

LMA = London Metropolitan Archives
Administration means he didn't leave a valid will, so someone had to be appointed to administer his estate.

geniebug 22-08-11 22:33

Thanks Kite.

Is there any way I can access London Metropolitan Archives, and is there any advantage in so doing?

I'm really trying to find his parents :(

Sue from Southend 23-08-11 07:11

This is the link to the LMA's research service

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corpo...ch+Service.htm

It looks quite expensive though! You could email them with the information and ask for a quote perhaps. Or if you post a plea for help on here someone may be able to go and look for you. Ancestry are putting a lot of LMA records online but whether Abraham's will ever be one of them is debatable!

kiterunner 23-08-11 08:34

It isn't a will, only an administration. It'll tell you who was appointed administrator but I expect that will be one of his children or his brother. Also there will be the name of a bondsman, who may be related. Unlikely to tell you anything about his parents, I'm afraid.

geniebug 23-08-11 11:00

Thanks for your information Sue & Kite. I rather think it would be his brother Richard (whose Will I have).

We have been searching for their parents for over 41 years lol.

Sue from Southend 23-08-11 13:31

Have you already discounted the Abraham Gorringe b1696 Hamsey, Sussex to Abraham and Susanna (from Family Search)?
He has a brother Richard b1690. (transcribed as Gorring)
And another one named John b 1687. Which ties in with an Abraham Goringe b1731 in Westminster to John and Ann - named after his father/brother?

geniebug 23-08-11 21:36

Quote:

Have you already discounted the Abraham Gorringe b1696 Hamsey, Sussex to Abraham and Susanna (from Family Search)?
He has a brother Richard b1690. (transcribed as Gorring)
And another one named John b 1687. Which ties in with an Abraham Goringe b1731 in Westminster to John and Ann - named after his father/brother?
Sue, the 2nd one is more likely datewise,but he definitely had a brother Richard (whether he had more siblings I dont know)
Not too sure about the first one because of the age., but on 2nd thoughts - it is a possible.

Thanks Sue.