Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Research Questions (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I can't find this Scottish marriage (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=19665)

Merry 03-03-14 16:50

I can't find this Scottish marriage

On another thread here I mention a marriage between Alexander Purvis and Isabel Pringle. Today I finally added these people to my tree, but I can't find the marriage.

Alexander and Isabel had at least seven children at Eyemouth, Berwickshire between 1777 and 1795. That's really all I know about them, but if I couldn't find a marriage I wouldn't have known Isabel's surname was Pringle. (or would I????) :o:o:o

ElizabethHerts 03-03-14 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merry (Post 265755)
On another thread here I mention a marriage between Alexander Purvis and Isabel Pringle. Today I finally added these people to my tree, but I can't find the marriage.

Alexander and Isabel had at least seven children at Eyemouth, Berwickshire between 1777 and 1795. That's really all I know about them, but if I couldn't find a marriage I wouldn't have known Isabel's surname was Pringle. (or would I????) :o:o:o

I have quite a few Scottish ladies for whom I have maiden names but no marriage or baptism. Their maiden names appear on death certificates and sometimes they still use maiden names on censuses. This has happened to mine a couple of times.

kiterunner 03-03-14 16:56

Scottish baptisms usually give the mother's maiden name, so you may have got it that way. It isn't always possible to find Scottish marriages, but I will have a look.

ElizabethHerts 03-03-14 16:58

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTBM-NVW

Name: George Purves
Christening Date: 14 Jan 1781
Christening Place: , EYEMOUTH, BERWICK, SCOTLAND
Birth Date: 03 Jan 1781
Birthplace:
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Alexander Purves
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Isabel Pringle
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11739-4
System Origin: Scotland-VR
GS Film number: 1067897
Reference ID: - 2:15XS6TR

Mother's maiden name given!!

Edit: This result came up when I was looking for the marriage.

ElizabethHerts 03-03-14 17:00

Name: Alexander Purves
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Spouse's Birth Date:
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Age:
Event Date: 31 May 1767
Event Place: Hutton,Berwick,Scotland
Father's Name:
Mother's Name:
Spouse's Father's Name:
Spouse's Mother's Name:
Race:
Marital Status:
Previous Wife's Name:
Spouse's Race:
Spouse's Marital Status:
Spouse's Previous Husband's Name:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M11745-2
System Origin: Scotland-ODM
GS Film number: 1067900, 0103234
Reference ID:

Marriage with no spouse!!

kiterunner 03-03-14 17:27

There is a possible baptism for Alexander 4 Feb 1743 at Eyemouth, father Alexander Purvis, doesn't give mother's name. I can't find one for Isabel, nor the marriage.

kiterunner 03-03-14 18:07

If you view the baptism register images for Alexander and Isabel's children on Scotland's People, there may or may not be extra information such as Alexander's occupation, place of residence, and witnesses' names. Or have you already viewed them?

Merry 03-03-14 18:42

Quote:

Father's Name: Alexander Purves
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Isabel Pringle
If I'd have seen that it wouldn't have occurred to me to think Pringle was Isabel's maiden name - I would have thought it was a middle name.

I'm just looking at the Scotland's people baps now. Having just got the list, I only have seven credits left, so can only view one...... perhaps I'll choose John (1779) as he in most involved on my tree.............

Merry 03-03-14 18:51

1779 May 2nd
Purvis - John son of Alexander Purves mason in Eymo. and of Isabel Pringle his spouse was born on the 20th April 1779 and baptised this day.

Lovely neat writing!

I'm really surprised Alexander is a mason. His sons who came to London were all shoemakers, so I was expecting the same for Alexander.

So, I suppose I must previously have realised Isabel was nee Pringle and then forgot again???

Just Gillian 03-03-14 18:52

If any of the children died after 1855, their death cert would have parents' names and father's occupation.

There's one match for a Purves death in Berwick, mmn Pringle, between 1855 and 1865.