Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Take One 2xGreat-Grandparent (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Ada Tomlinson, nee Slater (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=30182)

adatomlinsonslater 11-10-21 13:35

Ada Tomlinson, nee Slater

Name - "official" name and what they were known as
Ada Tomlinson, nee Slater

Date and place of birth
Apr/May/June 1864 Hanworth

Names of parents
George John Slater
Mary Elizabeth Cork

Date and place of baptism - if applicable

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
9 Feb 1890 to Charles Joseph Tomlinson
St John, Walham Green, Hammersmith and Fulham, England

Occupation(s) - if any
Shop worker Baker

Addresses where they lived - and please list which censuses you have or
haven't found him/her on.
1911 census - possibly Fulham workhouse - unconfirmed
1901 census 134 Lillie Road, Fulham
1891 census 134 Lillie Road, Fulham
1881 census Hanworth
1871 census Hanworth

Date, place and cause of death
Unknown

Date and place of burial / cremation.
Unknown

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable

Memorial inscription - if any

ElizabethHerts 11-10-21 14:19

Ada Slater was baptised on 12 June 1864 at Hanworth, Middlesex.
Parents George John and Mary.
He was a broker.

Information from FindMyPast - no image

Edit: The occupation could be a mistranscription for Baker.

kiterunner 11-10-21 15:45

The 1911 census entry certainly looks likely to be her despite the mistake in birthplace, since it has the right number of years married, number of children (or is that wrong?), and occupation.

kiterunner 11-10-21 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts (Post 400629)
Ada Slater was baptised on 12 June 1864 at Hanworth, Middlesex.
Parents George John and Mary.
He was a broker.

Information from FindMyPast - no image

Edit: The occupation could be a mistranscription for Baker.

This is the image on Ancestry. Occupation not very clear!

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...ue&pId=1029228

kiterunner 11-10-21 15:52

From looking through public trees on Ancestry, it seems that Ada's husband Charles had a different "wife" on the 1911 census but didn't marry the new wife until 1927. Is that right? if so, then perhaps Ada died between 1911 and 1927.

kiterunner 11-10-21 16:20

I haven't found a likely death for Ada yet, but maybe the 1921 census will help when it is released next year.

adatomlinsonslater 12-10-21 13:49

Thank you so much for your responses - I wasn't sure if anyone would see!
I've done quite a bit of research into this as it's a mystery and nothing quite adds up.

Ada and Charles had 2 children that survived into adulthood - Grace (my great-grandmother) and Ada Marguerite (who married W Ellis). They had 3 boys who died as babies/children (William John 1891-92, Harry Stewart 1893-1902), George Charles (1897).

I know that Charles Tomlinson remarried to Annie Warriner and had 2 more children (Annie b1906 and May Gertrude b1907).
The family story is that Ada fell ill and died between 1902 (after Grace was born) and 1906 (when Annie was born), however I can't find a death record for Ada Slater/Tomlinson that matches the story.

Charles put on the 1911 census that he was married to Annie W, but their marriage certificate is 1927. On the 1911 census he says they have been married for 9 years at that point and have 3 children together - we just know for a fact that isn't true. Grace was born at home and the registration of her birth and her baptism both took place on 10th December. Her mother was well enough/there in person to sign the register.

Ada's sister Sarah Slater died in 1904 (at the Friedenheim House) so it could be that she was the person who got ill and died and someone has misremembered.

We know that Charles J Tomlinson went bankrupt in 1902. Is this the link to the workhouse? Why only Ada?

It seems that Annie Warriner was also living in the neighbourhood around the 1901 census aged about 17, and her father passed away c. 1926. Did they wait because they didn't have his permission?

At Ada and Charles' marriage she gives her address as Beverley Minster, Yorkshire. Is there any way of finding out the link to that place?

adatomlinsonslater 12-10-21 13:56

Also - Charles J Tomlinson has two entries on the 1901 census, the other says he is living with his father (Charles Joseph Tomlinson), step mother (Ellen) and sister (Elizabeth).
Another oddity!

(CJT senior also interesting, seemingly marrying his first wife's sister (Margaret then Emma Jane Relf), and possible a 3rd wife Ellen producing daughter Elizabeth

kiterunner 12-10-21 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by adatomlinsonslater (Post 400654)
At Ada and Charles' marriage she gives her address as Beverley Minster, Yorkshire. Is there any way of finding out the link to that place?

It might be easier if they had got married soon after the 1891 census instead of the year before. Unless you find relatives of hers who lived there, there might be no easy way of finding out why she was living there.

adatomlinsonslater 18-10-21 13:19

I've found her in the Creed Register for Fulham Workhouse. Admitted 1905 and discharged in 1913.
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...cklabel=Return
Looks like she was in Staines Union prior to that - can anyone help me locate these records, please? Struggling to read what is in brackets. The details of her brother (name and address) are correct.
Any idea where to look for her post-discharge? Still no death record for her in 1913
thanks