Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Family History News and Information (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Surrey Parish Records - ancestry (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=17656)

Mary from Italy 29-01-14 18:11

Thanks, Kate, but how annoying; the only parish I'm interested in is Penge, and it isn't there :(

maggie_4_7 29-01-14 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary from Italy (Post 262027)
Thanks, Kate, but how annoying; the only parish I'm interested in is Penge, and it isn't there :(

Me too but the registration district is Croydon I know Penge got a bit confusing with the county changes in 1899 so it was in Surrey and then in Kent so there's probably a dispute on who owns the records. Some records I've found are now in the Bromley, Kent boundary for some reason.

Mary from Italy 29-01-14 18:58

Yes, I know there's some overlap with Kent; apparently earlier marriages are likely to be found in Beckenham.

Mary from Italy 29-01-14 19:00

I'm really curious to find out why several people from one of my Yorkshire families moved to Penge in the 1860s. It seems like an odd place to go.

Phoenix 29-01-14 19:17

Penge is such a modern parish that many of the records may still be with the incumbent (they certainly were twenty years ago) with copies in Bromley library.

Originally the area was a detached part of Battersea.

Mary from Italy 29-01-14 20:45

The births/baptisms I'm interested in date from the 1850s.

Phoenix 29-01-14 21:02

Hmm. St John the Evangelist, created from Battersea 1851.

Bromley Library.

Greater London is neither fish nor fowl: not LMA nor SHC. Though Croydon isn't a diocesan office, so its records are at the SHC.

ElizabethHerts 29-01-14 21:08

Mary, I'm also interested in Penge records.

OH's great-great-grandparents, George Herbert and Emily Newton, married at St John the Evangelist, Penge, and had three children in Penge. The years were 1878, 1879 and 1880, and I don't have baptisms for any of them.

We go to Chislehurst once a week and went to Bromley yesterday, so I will have to investigage the library. If I go I'll let you know and I can see if I can find anything for you, but I will be accompanied by a 3-year-old, so it depends on the forbearance of my OH and grandson!

Phoenix 29-01-14 21:15

Next month my journey to a client will pass the church on a daily basis. That bit of Penge is rather attractive, complete with almshouses.

ElizabethHerts 29-01-14 21:18

We visited the church 6 years ago and found the house where OH's family lived. It was in Selby Road, and we believe that his great-great-grandfather designed it as it was new when they moved in and he was an architect. I have a few photos of it and it has 1877 on the front wall.