Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Family History News and Information (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Deceased Online (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=816)

Muggins in Sussex 20-09-09 07:37

Deceased Online

http://www.deceasedonline.com/

190,000 Angus burials recently added

LindyTumblethump 22-09-09 20:53

Oh never seen that site before off to look xxhugxx

Muggins in Sussex 05-02-10 07:07

36,000 burials for London Borough of Havering now added to the site

Sue from Southend 05-02-10 20:21

Wow - just found loads of OH's family - Havering inhabitants all their lives! Thank you so much for this!

Jill 05-02-10 22:35

Thanks Joan, I've found several families there , including my dear old great uncle

Muggins in Sussex 18-03-10 06:51

29,000 Brent, 175,000 Cambridge and 24,000 Gainsborough records now added to the site

Muggins in Sussex 01-06-10 07:29

24,000 Aberdeen records added - more to follow

borobabs 01-06-10 08:00

Oh Joan thanks for reminder , ages since I checked on there ;;

Muggins in Sussex 03-06-10 07:30

More Brent records now added too, and 3,000 for Salcombe, Devon

Muggins in Sussex 07-06-10 19:16

40,000 records added for Newark, Notts -

+ in an e-mail from them "We're also busy working on over a million records for the UK's two largest cemeteries situated in London. There's a lot of work here but we hope to have a full range of records available at the end of the Summer."

kiterunner 08-06-10 23:05

That sounds exciting; I hope they're the cemeteries where my rellies are!

vswells 09-06-10 20:10

I see that I shall have to have another look for my lot now. I have never been able to find any one. It's nice that there is now a central location for burial records in London. I found the City of London burials don't go far enough.

Muggins in Sussex 17-08-10 18:32

100,000 records added for London Borough of Merton

Also 7,100 for Southborough Town Coucil

JayG 14-10-10 22:09

Blandform Forum, Dorset, burial records - Deceased Online

Blandford Forum Town Council
Church Lane, Blandford Forum, Dorset, DT11 7AD.

Approximately 7,600 burial records are available for the Town of Blandford Forum in Dorset, with Burial register scans. Maps showing the exact locations of graves have been prepared and will be added shortly.

Blanford Forum Cemetery - Added 30 September 2010

Burials numbered 1 to 7,599, dated 16 June 1856 to 6 July 2010 are available as Burial register scans with 8 to 20 entries per scanned page..

Note

Blandford Forum Town Council have requested that the addresses of the deceased and places of death not be shown in burial register records for the last 15 years.

https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch

Muggins in Sussex 16-10-10 20:07

Blandford Forum

Approximately 7,600 burial records are now available for Blandford Forum in Dorset

Muggins in Sussex 03-12-10 21:06

New records for Islington and Camden

From their e-mail -

"Burial and cremation records dating from 1854 for the boroughs of Islington and Camden in central north London are now on Deceased Online. Two conjoined cemeteries, St Pancras and Islington, form the largest single cemetery in London and, in burial numbers, the largest in the UK.
Of the 800,000 burial records, approximately 70% of these are available immediately with the remainder to be uploaded within the next 3 to 4 months. The 575,000 records currently available comprise nearly 362,000 for the Islington section between 1854 and 1945 and the remaining 213,000 for the St Pancras section are for 1854 to 1898, and 1905 to 1911. Also available now are 46,500 records from Islington Crematorium which date back to 1937. The 8,500 most recent cremation records will be added in the next few months, together with the remaining cemetery records.

The cemeteries and crematorium serve a large catchment area across Central and North London and will therefore be a major research resource. The burial records are in the form of scans of registers; grave details indicating all occupants are available immediately for St Pancras Cemetery, and for Islington Cemetery will follow in the near future. The cremation records include scans of registers.

Notable burials include Henry Croft, the original Pearly King; violinist and conductor Sir Eugene Aynsley Goossens, John Hickey (survivor of the charge of the Light Brigade complete with a memorial erected by, among others, Jerome K Jerome); MP and industrialist Alfred Mond, interred in a stunning mausoleum; recipients of the Victoria Cross and hundreds of other war graves; Ford Maddox Brown, the Pre-Raphaelite painter; and Cora Crippen (aka Belle Elmore), alleged victim of Dr Harvey Crippen.

Over the next few months, maps of areas in the cemetery indicating grave locations will be uploaded together with photographs of many notable memorials and headstones.

The Deceased Online database for London is now over 1.1 million including the Borough areas of Islington, Camden, Havering and Merton. Many more records for other areas in London will be added in the near future."

ElizabethHerts 03-12-10 21:16

Joan, many, many thanks!

I have just found my 2xgt grandparents' burials -

Henry William BOnd 1882
Eliza Bond 1900
both at Hampstead Cemetery
buried with her daughter from her first marriage - Eliza Anne Sharp
and her daughter's husband - John Harrison Sharp

ElizabethHerts 03-12-10 21:36

resolved

kiterunner 03-12-10 23:20

Ooh, thanks very much for that, Joan. My grandfather's half-brother is on there and I bet I'll find loads more of mine.

kiterunner 03-12-10 23:27

Agh, it broke just as I was trying to buy credits! Glad to say I hadn't put my credit card number in yet.

kiterunner 04-12-10 19:24

I found loads of my relatives on there (Islington Cemetery) but it doesn't give you the section and grave number which you need to know to find the actual graves. But I found some info online which says Islington Council are planning to upload that information by February next year, so maybe I'll have a trip down to London to visit some graves next spring!

ElizabethHerts 04-12-10 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiterunner (Post 101195)
I found loads of my relatives on there (Islington Cemetery) but it doesn't give you the section and grave number which you need to know to find the actual graves. But I found some info online which says Islington Council are planning to upload that information by February next year, so maybe I'll have a trip down to London to visit some graves next spring!

Kate, I would think they will provide the information - I had two lots of information for my Bond ancestors.
Firstly, the page from the burial register.
Secondly, this:

Interment Details
Site
London Borough of Camden
Cemetery
Hampstead Cemetery
Grave reference
L6/45
name
Date
Date of death
Top of Form 1
Sharp, Eliza Anne
22 Nov 1921
Unrecorded
Bottom of Form 1
Top of Form 2
Sharp, John Harrison
13 Sep 1900
Unrecorded
Bottom of Form 2
Top of Form 3
Bond, Eliza
24 Jul 1900
Unrecorded
Bottom of Form 3
Top of Form 4
Bond, Henry Willliam
02 Mar 1882
Unrecorded
Bottom of Form 4

kiterunner 04-12-10 19:57

I have contacted them (Islington Cemetery) before to get the info but I found so many of my relatives I would be embarrassed to send them so many names to look up!

Muggins in Sussex 05-02-11 07:08

New Records for Aberdeen

From their newsletter -

"Deceased Online, the UK's only website dedicated to statutory burial and cremation records, has increased it's database with the addition of a further 105,000 burial records for Aberdeen City. Deceased Online already has nearly 25,000 burial records for Scotland's third largest city so this will increase the data size to almost 130,000.

The new data is for St Peter's Cemetery and Churchyard for the period 1830 - 1951 and comprises scans of the original burial registers and details on occupants of graves. The data represents approximately 70% of all burials within the Cemetery and Churchyard for this period and others will be added over the next few months. Further records before 1830 will also be included on Deceased Online later this year.

The existing records for Aberdeen City on www.deceasedonline.com are for Grove Cemetery, Nellfield Cemetery, Old Machar Churchyard and St Clement's Churchyard.

Eventually there will be nearly 200,000 burial records for Aberdeen City on the website and further areas of Scotland will also be added during this year. "

ElizabethHerts 05-02-11 08:18

Joan, I just got the same e-mail! I wonder if any of my Scottish lot are on there?

I wanted to correct their spelling!:d Wait until Gwynne spots "it's database"!

ElizabethHerts 05-02-11 09:21

It's temporarily unavailable! I was in the middle of browsing some results for one of my surnames and it couldn't cope any more. I think everyone got the e-mail at the same time.

Guinevere 08-02-11 07:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts (Post 111979)
I wanted to correct their spelling!:d Wait until Gwynne spots "it's database"!

*gibbers*

Muggins in Sussex 20-02-11 08:42

40,000 records for Broxbourne Borough

https://www.deceasedonline.com/servl...nid=2076549443

kiterunner 20-02-11 14:52

Ooh, they seem to have added the grave references for Islington Cemetery at last, and I still have some unexpired credits!

JayG 20-02-11 19:29

It's great to see more records added even tho not for the areas of my research.

Wish they would give an idea what the 'Nearly 2 million further records are due to be added from another 13 authorities' covers, I suppose it's just a matter of wait & see.

maggie_4_7 20-02-11 22:23

Brilliant I found 5 of OH's ancestors in St Pancras.

Well documented too, address and age.

JayG 23-02-11 20:47

Website Chnages

Website Improvements!
Deceased Online is delighted to announce a range of improvements to the website, and to bring a new type of cemetery record to our database
Researching gets easier!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

We have added a comprehensive list of the questions we are most frequently asked by users, with answers to help you use the site better, and hints and tips to improve your searching. These are accessible from the new "Help/FAQs" top menu item. When you click the "Contact us" link on the bottom menu bar, you will be directed to the FAQs page first; but if you can't find an answer there, or you want to contact us for any other reason, you always have the option to email us.

Improved Search Results page

We have introduced several new features here:

You can now drop down a list of similar sounding surnames to select from.
You can now change the order in which results are displayed: Name of Deceased or Burial/Cremation Date. We are hoping to add further options soon.
You can now select the number of results to be displayed per page.
The Next/Previous page handling at the bottom of the page has been improved.
More explanation and examples

On the Burial/Cremation Register Summary page, against each type of further information available (register scan, computer record, grave details, photo, map) we've added an "about..." link. Click on this to display a page describing just what you can expect with this record type, giving you all the information you need before making a purchase.

Re-viewing period extended

The period during which you can view documents after initially purchasing access to them has been extended from 28 days to 6 months!

Collections - a new type of data and a new way of searching!

Deceased Online is delighted to announce that the website is now able to host a completely new type of data -- collections. These are what they say, collections of records, but ones that don't fit into our usual method of searching, because they are not necessarily indexable in the same way, and are sometimes best searched by browsing.

Collections are primarily offered to Deceased Online by independent parties (not burial or cremation authorities) such as researchers compiling, photographing and/or transcribing lists of old records, or cemetery memorials for example. Access to such collections may be purely by purchasing the whole collection and browsing; but in some cases searching by deceased's name and date is also available.

As our first such contributor we are delighted to welcome Scottish Monumental Inscriptions , who are initially putting onto Deceased Online all of their 90,000 headstone and memorial photographs and searchable transcriptions. These date from 1566 and are from 150 cemeteries across Scotland.

For more details see the Help page entry on Collections under Searching, or click here.

https://www.deceasedonline.com/servl...ext=20110221_1

ElizabethHerts 18-04-11 21:26

Hertfordshire and Cambridgeshire records - Deceased Online

Two areas in the county of Hertfordshire (just north of Greater London)
head a list new regions now on www.deceasedonline.com

* Broxbourne Borough Council has provided 40,000 burial records for award-winning Cheshunt Cemetery (1855-2003, UK Cemetery of the Year 2005) and Ware Road Cemetery, Hoddesdon (1883-2003)
* Dacorum Borough Council provides nearly 30,000 burial records. The areas are Heath Lane Cemetery (1878-2010) and Woodwells Cemetery (1960-2010) in Hemel Hempstead; Tring Cemetery (1894-2010); and Kingshill Cemetery, Berkhamsted (1947-2010)

More records for Cambridgeshire too...

* Records for the county of Cambridgeshire are further enhanced with the addition of 1,900 records for Sawston Cemetery from the local Parish Council
* There are already 175,000 burial and cremation records for the City of Cambridge on www.deceasedonline.com

Coming soon...

* Many more records for Scottish areas

JayG 19-04-11 20:59

Thanks for the heads up Elizabeth.

I've just found a cousin of my great grandfather & his wife at Cheshunt Cemetery.

ElizabethHerts 19-04-11 22:02

Jay, that's great!

I'm just amazed at how many resources there are now. When I started my research there were only a few.

Nell 22-04-11 16:50

It's amazing, Elizabeth.

I remember when I got going, there were only two censuses available on Ancestry, hardly any parish records - and certainly the idea you could see a digitised image of an original register was beyond imagining.

The familysearch site just had a transcript of 1881 and a lot of records which were often guesswork.

Muggins in Sussex 17-05-11 20:32

New records for rural Southwest England

"Over 36,000 burial records from seven cemeteries in the County of Wiltshire head a range of new data for Southwest England now available on Deceased Online. The cemeteries are: Bradford-on-Avon, Hilperton (near Trowbridge), Holt (near Bradford-on-Avon), Melksham, Trowbridge*, Warminster and Westbury, with records back to 1856 and all including burial register scans as well as grave details.
With the addition of Cullompton the Deceased Online database now features two town cemeteries in the County of Devon. 6,600 new records, with register scans and grave details for all burials back to 1856, are now available. Nearby, the coastal town of Salcombe has also made its cemetery's 3,000 records available, and these date back to 1879.
Completing the dataset for Southwest England is Blandford Forum in the County of Dorset. For this cemetery we have 7,600 records, with register scans and grave details back to 1856.
We hope to be adding many more records for the Southwest of England soon. Check out the Database Coverage section at www.deceasedonline.com to find out more details of the above and many more towns and areas in the UK.

*Note: records for Trowbridge Cemetery are currently in process and will be added very shortly."

From Deceased Online Newsletter

Muggins in Sussex 20-05-11 19:30

40,000 more Scottish records

From their newsletter:-

"40,000 more Scottish burial records including Peterhead added to Deceased Online

Two Aberdeenshire coastal town cemeteries and a small
Aberdeen City graveyard added to growing
Scottish burial database

Nearly 19,000 records commencing 1869 for Constitution Hill Cemetery in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire are immediately available on www.deceasedonline.com. The records include digital scans of mortality registers which are rich in detail and include full names, designations of heads of families, occupations, causes of death, places of death, addresses, ages and grave references.
Over 16,000 records, dating back to 1615, for a second Peterhead cemetery, St Peter's Churchyard, are currently being worked on and will be completed and uploaded onto Deceased Online shortly.
The database for the City of Aberdeen has also been increased with the addition of nearly 4,500 records for the small John Knox graveyard. The records are for the period 1838 to 1894 and have been transcribed from Doric language grave diggers' registers and include various spelling inconsistencies (Click here to see the full write up on Deceased Online).
Deceased Online will be adding many more records for other Scottish regions soon. "

ElizabethHerts 10-06-11 19:37

Essex, Romford Records - Deceased Online

39,000+ records for Romford Cemetery
added to www.deceasedonline.com

Historic Essex town's burial records date back to 1871

* All 39,400 burial records for Romford Cemetery are now available on the Deceased Online website.
* Digitised burial register scans for the period 27 October 1871 to 15 August 1994, and computerised records thereafter, include a range of details such as description of occupation and/or marital status, age, place of death and grave number.
* Grave details for all interments are also available.
* Romford Cemetery is managed by the London Borough of Havering and joins Hornchurch, Rainham and Upminster cemeteries which have all their records on www.deceasedonline.com
* Deceased Online now has well over 1 million burial and cremation records for the Greater London area and this will increase by a further 200,000 over the next few months.

Sue from Southend 11-06-11 10:14

Woo Hoo!! Most of OH's mother's family are from Romford..... Off to take a look.;)