Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Research Questions (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Scottish relatives (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=26249)

Qwackers 17-12-19 06:09

hi ,I found quite a few Charles marriages on free bmd from around early nineteen hundreds , some of them have middle names . and are not around the wigan area , it's possible he may have married outside of the area . can you help ?

Merry 17-12-19 07:18

I couldn't find him in 1911, 1939 or a death, so I wasn't really looking for a marriage.

If you are intent on finding a marriage, then you need to make a list of all Charles Flowers' born across a wide date spread and then see if you can eliminate any of the marriages by linking other Charles Flowers to those marriages and proving each one as best you can. Hopefully you will only be looking at a small list of unidentified marriages at the end - then you would most likely need to buy the certificates for the remaining men to see if any of them had the right detail to fit your man. You could do a similar thing with death registrations. You might need to include Flewer too and with or without the S on the end.

I think I did look briefly at army records for 1901 onwards plus WW1, but being a miner was a reserved occupation, so he may not have served. Having said that, lots of miners did have a role in WW1.

You could also try looking in Scotland. I'm afraid it's so long since I posted about him, I don't remember if I looked there or not! There's also emigration records to consider too. Perhaps he left the UK between 1901 and 1911?

As you have traced some of his siblings lines forward, maybe you should concentrate on them as it's possible someone will know what happened to him and save you loads of work!

Qwackers 20-12-19 05:23

hi ,yes it may be very difficult to find Charles ,as there are a few marriages all over the place ,and like you said he could have emigrated or something else . if he may have had a middle name it would have been helpful . i would like to say a Happy Christmas and NewYear ,and thanks for your great help will continue my search . x

Qwackers 06-01-20 16:07

Hi merry i found a charles flower on a immigration paper to quebec . how can i see if it his him . is there any canadian census ,which i could search ? thanks

Merry 06-01-20 22:01

Quote:

is there any canadian census ,which i could search ?
On Family Search or FMP.

Qwackers 11-02-22 05:24

Hi I was wondering if you can look on the G.R.O register for me as i'm having problems logging on . I'm searching for births from 1892 to 1915 , for ellen and william brown ellen's mmn woodcock . around the lathom ormskirk or skelmersdale . I've checked the parish clerks . and lancs Bmd . but have only found one up to now and that was for florence ,in 1892 Thanks

Merry 11-02-22 07:12

The May 1892 marriage entry for William James Brown and Ellen Woodcock in Skelmersdale gives their ages as 23 and 19 respectively. He has signed Walter James Brown.

On the 1901 census William is Walter again, but confirming it's them Ellen's father, George Woodcock (same as recorded at the 1892 marriage) is also in the household.

Childen listed are:

Florence 8
Alfred 6
Walter J 4
Jessie 2

all born Skelmersdale

In 1911 additional children are

Cicely 10
Nellie 8
Arthur 6
Harry 2
Minnie 8 months

Ellen says she has delivered 9 children and 8 are still living.

I don't know how you managed to only find one birth on LancsBMD as they are all there! I didn't look at the GRO site because it's so much quicker to use LancsBMD:

BROWN Florence WOODCOCK 1892 Lathom Preston LAT/30/72
BROWN Alfred WOODCOCK 1895 Lathom Preston LAT/32/89
BROWN Walter James WOODCOCK 1897 Lathom Preston LAT/34/20
BROWN Jessie WOODCOCK 1899 Lathom Preston LAT/35/86
BROWN Cicely WOODCOCK 1901 Lathom Preston LAT/37/28
BROWN Nellie WOODCOCK 1903 Lathom Preston LAT/38/63
BROWN Arthur WOODCOCK 1905 Lathom Preston LAT/39/99
BROWN Harry WOODCOCK 1908 Lathom Preston LAT/42/57
BROWN Minnie WOODCOCK 1910 Lathom Preston LAT/44/36

The last seven children are on the 1911 census, so it's either Florence or Alfred who had probably died.

This is the only match I could see (FreeBMD):

Deaths Sep 1904 (>99%)
BROWN Alfred 9 Ormskirk 8b 706

I did have a look to see if William was Walter at birth. This is his registration:

Births Mar 1869 (>99%)
Brown Walter James Shrewsbury 6a 710

Merry 11-02-22 07:19

Despite Ellen being 38 in 1911 there don't seem to be any further children. In 1921 the children listed with Walter and Ellen are:

Nellie 18
Arthur 16
Harry 13
Minnie 11

They are still living in Skelmersdale.

Qwackers 11-02-22 07:19

thank you so much for that , have a good day x