Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Take One Grandparent (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Peter Henry Harrison (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10966)

Anstey Nomad 24-07-11 12:46

Just found this - is this what they meant about his army record?
  • Every soldier had a service record, although only some 30% or so now exist.
  • A service record consists of a number of different army forms used to record information about a soldier during his military career. The numbers and types of forms in a man’s record vary greatly from soldier to soldier, as does the quality and legibility of the information they contain. Service records often also contain private correspondence: for example if a man was enquiring with regard to his medals or if a widow was enquiring about a pension.
  • The records were thinned out before going into storage in the 1930s, by disposal of many documents.
  • An army service record is the only source likely to give family, age, birthplace and trade information.
AN

Margaret in Burton 24-07-11 14:20

Bl**dy hell I suppose so. If they hadn't have done that then we might have known more about him. Grrrrr :mad::mad::mad:

Margaret in Burton 25-07-11 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merry (Post 145070)
I don't think I've seen his photo before!

What else can we try? There must be something???

Were you beginning to doubt he ever existed? :D:D:D

Merry 25-07-11 16:42

Oh, I'm sure there are loads of people we regularly look for on ths site who have never really existed :D

JohnS 09-01-13 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret in Burton (Post 145094)
He was repeatedly asked apparently about his family by his children as they were growing up and about their "other grandparents". They were always told "I wasn't wanted and that's all you need to know".

Hi Marg
Spending a lot of time trawling through the thousands of posts made before I joined the site. Now and again a statement makes me curious.

By repeatedly saying that he wasn't wanted was he implying that he was either adopted or placed with other family members to raise him?

If the first is a possibility then was Harrison his adopted name or birth name? If a child is adopted is their original birth registration removed?

Just a thought - sorry to throw in even more confusion.

John

kiterunner 09-01-13 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnS (Post 220345)
Hi Marg
Spending a lot of time trawling through the thousands of posts made before I joined the site. Now and again a statement makes me curious.

By repeatedly saying that he wasn't wanted was he implying that he was either adopted or placed with other family members to raise him?

If the first is a possibility then was Harrison his adopted name or birth name? If a child is adopted is their original birth registration removed?

Just a thought - sorry to throw in even more confusion.

John

If he was adopted it would have been before the formal adoption system was brought in. And if a child is adopted under that system, their original birth registration is not removed but their birth certificate would have "Adopted" written on it.

Margaret in Burton 03-11-14 13:13

Dare I bump this up?

I still am no further forward in this mystery man.

JBee 03-11-14 14:03

Was wondering if the Regimental Muster lists at the National Archives might have some info ie where he joined up etc.

JBee 03-11-14 14:10

There's a Peter Henry Carrington born in Jul qtr 1885 at Skipton

given the accent perhaps it might be him.

Merry 03-11-14 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret in Burton (Post 286721)
Dare I bump this up?

*faints* :eek:

That Peter Henry Carrington died aged 3.