Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   DNA Questions (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Thru Lines - new feature on ancestry (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=27460)

kiterunner 27-02-19 20:18

Thru Lines - new feature on ancestry

In Beta, and it looks as though it is going to replace DNA Circles. Seems to be closely related to the new shared ancestor hints that is part of the "Ancestry Lab" DNA upgrade which is also in beta. I have to go and eat now, so will try it out later.

kiterunner 27-02-19 23:18

Initially it seemed there was just a load of my direct ancestors on the page, and I had to click on each one to see whether it had found any connections from that ancestor (which would take forever!) But then I found out that was only true if I filter by "All ancestors" or "Ancestors from your linked tree". If I choose "potential ancestors" instead, I get a lot of "private" and a few possible ancestors. But in all the cases which I've looked at so far, the DNA matches shown share a known ancestor with me, and then the "potential ancestor" is someone who they have in their tree as a parent of that known ancestor, which may or may not be correct.

So not much use in my opinion, but then DNA Circles weren't much use either, except that they could sometimes tell you that certain people who didn't come up as matches to you had actually had their DNA tested, whereas normally Ancestry doesn't let you know whether non-matches have tested or not.

marquette 28-02-19 07:09

I found this when I looked at Ancestry this morning. Actually I found it quite useful.

We have some matches which we could not place within the family tree. The Thru lines show that one of them is the granddaughter of my 2nd cousin. He is linked to a family tree which I can see, but i noted that she is linked to a tree of 5 private people - today this has been upgraded to 25 people, although many are still private. So the Thru Lines are matching private (living people) if they share DNA.

Some go down to matches as small as 7cm and one appears to be a descendant of a presumed (on my part) brother of my 3x great grandfather. Another one is descendant of my great grandfathers half sister, I am looking forward to having a further look at her tree!

Until now, I have not looked at any matches below 25cms, unless they have an attached tree (and even then its rare to find a common name), so I have missed these very small matches.

At this point, I am happy to think that I have reached a point where I am happy to say my mysterious 3xg grandfather Charles Tupper is a brother of James and William, with two descendants with whom we share DNA.

For what I have been able to look at briefly, I cant see any one who might share DNA through my Brighton ancestors.

Di

maggie_4_7 28-02-19 08:02

I have found it useful for the same reasons as marquette but like everything on Ancestry you have to be cautious but what it does do is give you a clue and at least a starting point so you can check the connection.

Kit 28-02-19 08:40

It's not working for me. :(:(:(

kiterunner 28-02-19 10:38

I really don't see the point of it including all the ancestors where there are no connections so I have to click each one to find out. Or am I missing something?

ElizabethHerts 28-02-19 14:49

It's proving a waste of time so far. I keep getting suggestions for ancestors, then I click on the tree suggested and the tree owner has made a mistake in their research. This has happened three times so far.

ElizabethHerts 28-02-19 16:17

Someone has got my Quaker 5x-great-grandmother, born to Quaker parents, born in Whittlebury, Northants in 1754 (correct), then baptised in Chelmsford in 1736 and again in Derby in 1754. Her mother supposedly died in 1757 in Wellington, Salop, and she was baptised again in 1770 in Cheshire!!

I feel a headache coming on.

maggie_4_7 01-03-19 09:16

I found it useful because I have now confirmed my Northamptonshire families which was always a niggle for me because of the lack of a marriage certificate of my gg grandfather but using the thrulines I went through the ancestors one by one and up popped a couple of matches it is only small 10cM but when I crosschecked through both trees and sources on mine they are descended from my Mears family in Northamptonshire they are much further down the tree than me but I was pleased about the connection, they are in the USA. I did the same for my Norfolk connection which is the gg grandmother perhaps I have just been lucky with the quality of those two trees.

I would have missed them because they are way down my list it is going up by about 5 a week and I still am missing a lot.

marquette 01-03-19 11:08

I have problems with my Northamptonshire families too, lack of baptisms because they were non-conformist so finding a couple of DNA links looks very helpful.

I have been able to track down some of those many US DNA matches about whom I had no clues - too many female lines and name changes, but the ThruLines show the pathway. And they were very mobile some of them - Cambridgeshire to Yorkshire to Liverpool, some to Canada, some to Kansas and very mobile within the US. Without DNA they would be difficult to track across the US states.