Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   DNA Questions (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Sorting DNA matches by region (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=27824)

Phoenix 20-06-19 11:31

Sorting DNA matches by region

Can this be done under beta matches?

I'm checking my distant matches as fast as I can, before I lose the facility to access them.

I should not need to look at regional matches as there aren't very many - only, say, a thousand in each category.

But I cannot see how to access all of them under the beta matches. Help!

Mary from Italy 20-06-19 12:49

Can you explain why you don't think distant matches will show up in the beta system?

kiterunner 20-06-19 13:28

There doesn't seem to be a way to select by region in the new system as far as I can see. But I didn't know that you could do it under the old system till just now. I don't think I had any useful regions till yesterday, though.

Phoenix 20-06-19 13:33

They show up, but are virtually impossible to access. It takes me five minutes to scroll down to matches of 10cM. If I look at one of those matches and eliminate it, I am bounced back to the start of the list.

Currently, I can eliminate probably 100 unlikely matches in an hour. Unless they introduce pagination and allow you to keep your place, you have to scroll past all the known matches each time you want to investigate a distant match.

Under the new system, I simply won't spot the distant matches, particularly if there are spelling variants in the name.

Again, under the new system, a lot of the parishes I am interested in are simply not listed by Ancestry, so place name searches are pretty useless.

kiterunner 20-06-19 13:33

Okay, you can do it from within the Ancestry DNA app, something like Regions - Community - Matches.

Phoenix 20-06-19 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiterunner (Post 360799)
There doesn't seem to be a way to select by region in the new system as far as I can see. But I didn't know that you could do it under the old system till just now. I don't think I had any useful regions till yesterday, though.

I've been using the facility for ages, and it switched between searches.

kiterunner 20-06-19 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix (Post 360800)
They show up, but are virtually impossible to access. It takes me five minutes to scroll down to matches of 10cM. If I look at one of those matches and eliminate it, I am bounced back to the start of the list.

Currently, I can eliminate probably 100 unlikely matches in an hour. Unless they introduce pagination and allow you to keep your place, you have to scroll past all the known matches each time you want to investigate a distant match.

Under the new system, I simply won't spot the distant matches, particularly if there are spelling variants in the name.

Again, under the new system, a lot of the parishes I am interested in are simply not listed by Ancestry, so place name searches are pretty useless.

But can't you set your filter so it only shows you matches that you haven't viewed before? (Or have they all been set to "viewed" because you used a browser extension to process them?)

kiterunner 20-06-19 13:36

Also, if you have a list of matches and you want to view one but not lose your place, right-click on the match that you want to view and select open in new window or open in new tab.

Phoenix 20-06-19 13:38

app?

If you just have desktop, how does that work?

kiterunner 20-06-19 13:45

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, they haven't produced an app for PC's yet. :(