Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Research Questions (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Another Ancestry Tree question. (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=27409)

Ann from Sussex 11-02-19 11:54

Another Ancestry Tree question.

I have never put any part of my tree on Ancestry but am thinking of entering one section because I have made contact with a relative on there who is asking if they can see my tree. My question is:

How easy is it to make your tree private and only viewable by people you've invited...and how do you do it? I can't seem to find any instructions on the site but I suppose they don't want you to do that really.

Sue from Southend 11-02-19 13:54

Once you've built your tree there will be a tab on a dropdown menu called "Tree Settings" and within that are the privacy options. It's really is to set and no one can see the tree but you or the people you invite. However if someone searches for "Joe from Sussex" the name will pop up on their search (provided he is deceased or over 100 yrs old) with your user name so that they can contact you if they want. Contact is through Ancestry no email addresses involved.

kiterunner 11-02-19 14:07

I think that when you create a new tree, it gives you the choice of whether to make it public or private.

If you already have a public tree, this is how to make it private:

When you have your tree open, click on the chevron next to the tree name which gives a menu, and select "Tree Settings". Then select the "Privacy Settings" tab and you will have the option to click a box which says "Private Tree" and there is also the option to "also prevent your tree from being found in the search index".
Note: although your tree will instantly become public or private, it usually takes about a month or more to be reflected in the search index.

Then you can click on the "Sharing" tab and it has a button to "invite people" via their email address or ancestry user name, or you can click to create a "shareable link" that you can send to the person you want to share your tree with.

Ann from Sussex 11-02-19 15:41

I knew you clever people would be able to tell me! Thank you. I don't want all and sundry to see what will be quite close family details but I'm satisfied that this person and I share these relatives. I was just a bit worried that, when I clicked on the "create tree" button, it didn't show a privacy setting at the start of the process. I know it can be done because I've contacted the owners of private trees myself.

Phoenix 11-02-19 17:28

I would continue to be cautious, however. I have several times released details to people I recognise as close relatives, only to see them swipe and make publicdetails even of living relatives.

You have to regard ANYTHING you put up as in the public domain, no matter how carefully you protect it.

JayG 11-02-19 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue from Southend (Post 356864)
Once you've built your tree there will be a tab on a dropdown menu called "Tree Settings" and within that are the privacy options. It's really is to set and no one can see the tree but you or the people you invite. However if someone searches for "Joe from Sussex" the name will pop up on their search (provided he is deceased or over 100 yrs old) with your user name so that they can contact you if they want. Contact is through Ancestry no email addresses involved.

If you tick 'Also prevent your tree from being found in the search index' on the 'privacy settings' then your tree will remain completely private and won't show in any search results.

Ann from Sussex 11-02-19 18:02

You make a good point Phoenix. I have thought about this and have decided that, since the people concerned are on other trees on the internet and are no longer with us, it doesn't matter. My concern is that mine and subsequent generations of our family aren't entered onto any public trees....and since I won't be giving away anything about us, that won't be possible.

Kit 12-02-19 00:42

I've started doing an online tree for my Dad. I didn't put any details for him except a surname, same for his parents then I put in enough details for people to work out the tree but I don't always give exact places just the county. Gives people enough details to work out we match without putting all information online

kiterunner 12-02-19 08:36

Living people's details are kept private by ancestry anyway, even in public trees.

Sue from Southend 12-02-19 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiterunner (Post 356882)
Living people's details are kept private by ancestry anyway, even in public trees.

Does Ancestry still use the 100 year rule? I've still not put my parents death dates on my Ancestry tree as it felt odd putting their details up for all to see (I don't know why and yes I know people could work it out if they wanted to) But Dad would have been 100 yrs old this year and I'm wondering if his details will become viewable ….