Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Research Questions (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hannah Thomas (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=28839)

Zoemcdougall 18-06-20 14:53

Hannah Thomas

I was looking for the grave of my grandad's sister, who died in 1904, aged 2 of measles, I have now found out where she is buried, in Royton Lancashire, but i was shocked to learn that there was 8 buried in the grave, one was an Edna Worthy, She would have been Hannah's Gtrandmother Edna Worthy, the other 6 in the grave were some Edna's children ages of deaths ranging from 1month to 28yrs,

But Edna's Husband Joseph Worthy was buried in a different cemetery in Lancashire he died 1941, he is buried with one other a Saxon Smith, but he died in 1909,

I understand that people can be buried in different cemetery, but what i dont get is why he was put in a grave with a person I dont think has any family connections. well not that i have found. Could Joseph have laid to rest in a paupers grave.

Edna Worthy nee Toft was the daughter of Edna Toft a previous post.

Olde Crone 18-06-20 16:30

In my family it seemed to be the custom to buy a grave, fill it with family members and then buy another. But if there was no money or no grave, then a pauper's grave would be the only alternative.

OC

Merry 18-06-20 16:41

Better if you call it a public grave rather than a paupers grave as, though the rich wouldn't normally use them, many ordinary people who were not paupers did.

Olde Crone 18-06-20 18:14

It was also war time and that might have had something to do with it. Perhaps they couldn't track.down a relative. If it was a public grave (sorry Merry!) it's a bit odd that it was so many years between burials, they normally would be filled fairly quickly.

OC

Merry 18-06-20 18:17

Maybe Saxon Smith is a relative after all?!

EDIT He's Smith Saxon, not Saxon Smith!

Zoemcdougall 18-06-20 18:37

Sorry Merry, I didn't mean to cause offence, I will say a public Grave,

I have tried looking for info on Saxon smith but not got very far, do you think he could be a relative? ! Merry

Zoemcdougall 18-06-20 18:42

Thank you OC, Joseph Worthy was buried in Chadderton, where his wife some of their children and their grandaughter Hannah ( my Great Aunt) were buried in Oldham.

Olde Crone 18-06-20 18:46

His name is Smith Saxon according to death records, not Saxon Smith.
I've had a quick look but can't see any obvious connection.

OC

Merry 18-06-20 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoemcdougall (Post 375414)
Sorry Merry, I didn't mean to cause offence, I will say a public Grave,

I have tried looking for info on Saxon smith but not got very far, do you think he could be a relative? ! Merry

His mmn was Wild if that helps.

I didn't mean anything you had said would cause offence - I thought you seemed perplexed that your relative might have been considered a pauper, so I was just pointling out public graves were not just for paupers!

Olde Crone 18-06-20 18:51

Chadderton and Royton are less than 3 miles apart.

Snap Merry!

OC