Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Research Questions (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Missing in 1891 (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=24473)

Rick 25-07-16 20:00

Missing in 1891

The Mahoney family are living in Kensington on the 1881 census...http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/75...32715265/facts
William Cornelius Mahoney (abt 1854, Kensington)
Amelia Mahoney (1848 Marylebone nee Wingrove)
Amelia Elizabeth Mahoney (1878 Kensington)
James William Mahoney (1880 Kensington)

The mother died in 1896. The daughter I have traced from 1901 onwards. The son is in a reformatory in Redhill in 1891 and the father was deceased by the time the daughter married in 1905.

Can anyone find them in 1891 ? The two Amelias are definitely alive, but I don't know about William.

Merry 25-07-16 22:07

These other children aren't helping either:

Rose Eliza Mahoney bap 29 Jan 1883 Notting Hill St Clement Kensington and Chelsea William Mahoney, Amelia Mahoney

Sidney John William Mahoney bap 18 Feb 1885 Notting Hill St Clement Kensington and Chelsea William Cornelius Mahoney, Amelia Mahoney

Merry 25-07-16 22:55

Oooh, I was just going to bed, but just noticed that the address given for Amelia jr on her marriage cert is the same street as where the family were living for at least one of those baps I posted which seems surprising as it's such a long time after. Maybe you could take a look and see if I made that up lol! I couldn't actually read the address at the baptism :o

Those other children seem to vanish! The 1935 death for Rose E Mahoney isn't her as that lady was a widow.

Rick 25-07-16 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merry (Post 323801)
Oooh, I was just going to bed, but just noticed that the address given for Amelia jr on her marriage cert is the same street as where the family were living for at least one of those baps I posted which seems surprising as it's such a long time after. Maybe you could take a look and see if I made that up lol! I couldn't actually read the address at the baptism :o

Those other children seem to vanish! The 1935 death for Rose E Mahoney isn't her as that lady was a widow.

I have deaths for Rose in 1883 as Rosa and Sidney in 1888 as Sydney, so left them off to avoid complicating things :d

Rick 25-07-16 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merry (Post 323801)

Blechynden Street & Blechynden Mews in Notting Hill - my dad's family lived there for decades

Merry 26-07-16 07:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick (Post 323802)
I have deaths for Rose in 1883 as Rosa and Sidney in 1888 as Sydney, so left them off to avoid complicating things :d

lol! Well, that didn't work then as I spent more time looking for them than the others as I presumed you hadn't come across them!

Merry 26-07-16 07:16

Quote:

Blechynden Street & Blechynden Mews in Notting Hill - my dad's family lived there for decades
I'm now wondering if you've browsed through the 1000 residents in 1891 already? Have you been through the folio/page/schedule numbers to check none are missing?

Rick 26-07-16 13:38

Yes, I've browsed both Street & Mews and there are a few damaged pages (not enough to make them unreadable), but none missing. I'm beginning to wonder if they somehow evaded the census altogether.

It would be easier if I knew when the father died, but there's no birth or death registration for him that I can find. He also married under the surname Collins - his mother's maiden name - although he was born after they married and I have no idea why. Amelia the mother was my grandmother's aunt and she had a funeral card for her showing she died in Charing Cross Hospital in 1896. The daughter is living with a man called Arthur Golding in 1901 and had a son by him the following year, but never married him. The son was convicted of indecent assault aged just 10 and he vanishes after his spell at the reformatory.

Merry 26-07-16 13:52

I suppose Amelia senr's death cert might say if she was a widow or not, but you might still wonder about the accuracy of the info given.

Rick 26-07-16 15:25

Just checked to make sure I didn't already have her death cert in my collection, but I don't. This line is proving very troublesome, so I think I'll have to park the Amelias for now and move on to the next mystery. I'll add them to my list to revisit and consider getting the cert if all else fails.

Thanks for trying to find them :)